Prevent Combo Box showing already selected items. (1 Viewer)

HillTJ

To train a dog, first know more than the dog..
Local time
Yesterday, 14:17
Hi, I hope my description makes sense. I have the following many:many relationship. Thus,
tblAccident

• IncidentID-PK
  • Other fields….
tblAccident_tblAccidentSections (AccidentID & SectionID form a composite key as a way of preventing sectionID being selected more than once))
  • AccidentID-FK (1 to many with IncidentID)
  • SectionID-FK (1 to many with SectionID)
  • strText (this is where details are recorded)
tblAccidentSections
  • SectionID-PK
  • strSectionDescription (could be “Initial Investigation”, “Immediate Actions”, “Witnesses” etc)
  • SectionPriority (used to sort the order of the “lookup”)
This all works fine. On my form I have a subform (in single form view) derived from tblAccident_TblAccidentSections in which SectionID is populated by a combo box that gets its data from tblAccidentSections (column count of 2 with sectionID hidden to display strSectionDescription) This works good too. But what I’d like to do is to have the “lookup” reflect only the “remaining” strSectionDescriptions. That is, not repeat the full list each time as only those items that have not been selected can actually be selected.
Does this make sense? It’s probably simple to do. Appreciate any feedback.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:17
Yes, you should be able to filter the rowsource of the Combobox to remove the items you don't want to show. Can you post your current rowsource?

HillTJ

Local time
theDBguy, have a look at this;
SELECT tblAccidentSections.SectionID, tblAccidentSections.strSectionDescription, tblAccidentSections.SectionPriority, tblAccidentSections.[SectionActive(Y/N)] FROM tblAccidentSections WHERE (((tblAccidentSections.[SectionActive(Y/N)])=Yes)) ORDER BY tblAccidentSections.SectionPriority;

Thanks

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
In general, you have to do three things. The table from which that .RowSource originates must have some flag to indicate that you don't want to use it again. The query that is the .RowSource must exclude those items as flagged to be excluded. (Note that you don't actually have to include the flag in the visible items of the selection query, but the WHERE clause has to reference the flag.) You must do a .Requery of the combo box once you have selected something that hadn't been selected before. That will do the job.

To reset this completely, of course the simplest action would be to reset the flag to their initial state.

HillTJ

Local time
The_Doc_Man, thanks. I'll have to digest your recommendations & give it a go.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:17
based on your Query on post #3,
just exclude the SectionID's that are already in same AccidentID:

Code:
SELECT tblAccidentSections.SectionID,
    tblAccidentSections.strSectionDescription,
    tblAccidentSections.SectionPriority,
    tblAccidentSections.[SectionActive(Y/N)] FROM tblAccidentSections
WHERE ((tblAccidentSections.[SectionActive(Y/N)])=Yes)
AND  SectionID
NOT IN (SELECT SectionID FROM tblAccident_TblAccidentSections
WHERE AccidentID = [Forms]![MainFormName]![SubFormName].Form!AccidentID) ORDER BY tblAccidentSections.SectionPriority;

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:17
One word of caution. If you exclude items already selected, you may have issues viewing records which have those combo values.
Check carefully before implementing in any production database

HillTJ

Local time
Arnelgp, thanks. Rather than just copying in your sql and for my benefit, how would i go about creating such a statement using the querybuilder?. If i understand this, then i'll be a lot happier🤗

HillTJ

Local time
Ah, yes Colin i'll have a go but i understand

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
This demo uses a query like @arnelgp and addresses 2 techniques for values disappearing as discussed by @isladogs when reduce the list in a continuous form.

Attachments

• AlreadySelected.accdb
    500 KB · Views: 95

HillTJ

Local time
MajP, appreciate it. I'll have a look.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
Rather than just copying in your sql and for my benefit, how would i go about creating such a statement using the querybuilder?
Unfortunately that you cannot do without typing a sql select statement. In the Criteria you have to do a sub query which is
NOT IN (Select SomeField from SomeTable where Field = value)

not in.jpg

HillTJ

Local time
A bit to digest but I'll work my way through it. MajP, That's a great website you referred to. I'll have a good look at it.Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom