Prevent Export of Table (1 Viewer)

wshamblin

Local time
Today, 14:07
Hello. I have accessed this forum for awhile now and find it very helpful. I've used Access for years, but am relatively new to VBA. I have set up a database that each user will put on their own computer, as it builds a running list made specifically for that user of chosen items to be exported to Excel, and because the remote locations have issues when accessing a shared network.

The db verifies the network user ID against a table to allow it to open. This to prevent any unauthorized user from accessing, and if db was copied or forwarded, only authorized users could see the data.

If the user is not on the list, it advises "Not an Authorized User", then exits Access. (I disabled the shift on opening, hid navigation bar, etc.) It seemed to work great. Then . . .

When further testing this security, I realized that even though users can access only the forms that I allowed, if they were to open another Access db, they could link or import the main table. So all of my security precautions are for naught, as anyone with access to the db could see the confidential data. Even if they were not valid users, they could still get to the data if they knew how to import from another db. :banghead:

Is there any way to lock down the main table, so that it cannot be exported? Or be imported into another database?

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

W

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 11:07
Is there a way to lock your car so that no one will ever, ever, ever steal your fancy new stereo? No.

Do your best to make it hard to steal, but a competent, committed thief will defeat your security.

wshamblin

Local time
Thanks for your reply, Lagbolt. You're definitely right about that.

I ended up hiding the tables in code so that they would not show when trying to import from another database. I also saved it as accde file.

This and what I had already done, along with coding to hide the ribbon, gave me an end result that I think is as secure as I can make it.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yeah, the best you can do is make it difficult. Nice job.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One more thing is to rename the .accde as .accdb. Although this doesn't really add any security if you know the trick, it does tell Access to pretend to be the runtime engine when opening this database so you can't ever see the nav pane.

kokowawa

Local time
Today, 20:07
you may encrypt the data in the fields so no one will understand what is this

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi @wshamblin. Welcome to AWF! You might want to check out this previous thread.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:07
Hi @kokowawa. Welcome to AWF.
Not sure if you realised this was a thread from 7 years ago.

Anyway, on the same lines, see post #7 in this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom