Prevent Form Data Entry When Tables are Offline (1 Viewer)

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:25
I had an issue with a database last week. The tables are lined with SharePoint lists and I currently have 10 different PC feeding data to and from the SharePoint list, the system has been working well for about 6 months until one day last week when our internet dropped for an hour.

All the databases went into offline mode and none of the users on the floor where aware of this, even if they were aware, none are practiced enough in PC skills to understand what it means or what to do. As a result, they continued entering data in Offline mode - when I resynced each PC with SharePoint there were endless conflicts in the tables.

Does anyone know of a method for preventing data entry when the tables become disconnected?

I've searched on Google and the results are mostly about entering data when it goes offline

Thansk in advance

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 13:25
well tables are never supposed to be disconnected, but you could make a copy of the backend on a server share folder (or PC)
then if you loose the main source, remap the Front End to that alternate BE until the main comes back online.
Once back online, you must integrate the alternate data to the main db,
then remap the FE to the main data.

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
well tables are never supposed to be disconnected, but you could make a copy of the backend on a server share folder (or PC)
then if you loose the main source, remap the Front End to that alternate BE until the main comes back online.
Once back online, you must integrate the alternate data to the main db,
then remap the FE to the main data.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's not what I'm trying to achieve here though

Ranman256

Local time
when the main form opens , do a Dlookup to see if the tables are online,
if it errors out, disable all buttons to prevent further use.

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
when the main form opens , do a Dlookup to see if the tables are online,
if it errors out, disable all buttons to prevent further use.

I can see where you are going with this, however, will it not just Dlookup data that is available in the cached linked table and carry on as normal

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:25
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but try deleting all the linked tables and link them again; only this time, see if there's an option not to use a "cache" when the SP List is offline. Hope that helps...

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but try deleting all the linked tables and link them again; only this time, see if there's an option not to use a "cache" when the SP List is offline. Hope that helps...

Or in this case, not use cache. I'll see if I can get that to work - I only need one of the linked tables to operate in this way for the Dlookup solution to work

Uncle Ned

Registered User.
Local time
I may have a solution on this;

File -> Options -> Current Database -> Caching Web Service and SharePoint table -> (tick) Never cache

Let's see what happens

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This is one of the more dangerous aspects of SharePoint as a BE. I would talk with the SharePoint experts to see if there is a setting that can be used to prevent offline data entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom