Prevent onedrive from rename backend database (1 Viewer)

mester

Local time
Today, 02:12
i made a program by using Microsoft access,so i share my accessdatabase on onedrive, i use it on 3 laptops, i put the backend on my onedrive and frontend on the disk of all the 3 laptops, the problem is when i open the database on the 3 laptops and add some records, the onedrive make another backend on the onedrive where i have the originale one of backend and rename it, and that repeat everytime when onedrive sychronize, so if i continue like this i will have unlimited backend on my onedrive. How can i stop onedrive from doing that? Thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:12
You cant have the BE on onedrive or dropbox or any sharing site.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:12
To answer that question, it depends on what resources are involved and what you are intending to accomplish. Answer those two questions for us and we might be able to offer some thoughts.

The reason you can't effectively use OneDrive or DropBox is because they don't support the full Windows File Sharing/Printer Sharing protocol, which is called Server Message Block or SMB. Without this, Access is not going to work. Even if they did, there are the double-barreled issues of slow speed over Wide Area Networks and the greater tendency of WANs to momentarily drop - which KILLS any links made via SMB.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:12
The best way to share an Access application over the internet is to use Citrix or Remote Desktop. RD doesn't require a server if you have people logging into their OWN desktops back at the office from laptop or personal computers at home. Otherwise both solutions require a real server and software licenses. You can host either using a third-party service but last time I checked, the price was 35-60 per user per month depending on what software you needed to have on the server.

There is lots written here on the topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom