Prevent spammers posting links in initial message (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:11
I'm bumping this excellent post up the list for another chance of a response!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:11
I cannot recall ever seeing spam so I figured it was because I'm on the other side of the pond - by the time I log in, it's all gone?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I cannot recall ever seeing spam so I figured it was because I'm on the other side of the pond - by the time I log in, it's all gone?

My fastest response time in deleting a spam post was 3 minutes, the spammer must have been really pissed off!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:11
I sent Jon a note to call his attention to your suggestion. We have mods across time zones so we're pretty good at catching them in a timely manner, but anything to gain an edge!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
In all the time I've been here, never saw spam.
Today, 2 within 5 minutes of each other!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Still there at present, debbiesmiracles?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I have implemented a system to stop link dropping for anyone with less than 10 posts. I had a look around and it does seem to have increased lately. All posts with links for members with less than 10 posts will automatically be rejected.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Don't get mad at me for pointing this out, but that will prevent anyone new from declaring where they cross posted, which is what we ask them to do? Maybe there's a way around them posting a link for a cross post. I suppose we'd just have to accept someone saying "I posted this question at ___

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Don't get mad at me for pointing this out, but that will prevent anyone new from declaring where they cross posted, which is what we ask them to do? Maybe there's a way around them posting a link for a cross post. I suppose we'd just have to accept someone saying "I posted this question at ___
If only they did :)

deletedT

Local time
Most of cad/cam forums I access, the external links goes between [code ][\code ] tags and are unclickable. It is to prevent unwanted or mistaken clicks.
If any member needs to access the site, they have to copy-paste the link in the address bar.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
that will prevent anyone new from declaring where they cross posted,

We had the 10 post rule on the old site, and it was very effective at identifying spammers. There's a small inconvenience for new posters, but it does not take long to build up a 10 post count.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Most of cad/cam forums I access, the external links goes between [code ][\code ] tags to prevent unwanted or mistaken clicks.
If any member needs to access the site, they have to copy-paste the link in the address bar.[/code]

That looks like a workable solution from Tera...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It is easy to find all posts by any member. If someone has less than 10 posts and they want to cross reference one, they will be simple to find.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Let me know if any spam gets through and also if it has prevented spam over time.

Edit: I kinda enjoy clicking the spam button on a spam post. I get a mini dopamine hit for wiping out their crap.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
It is easy to find all posts by any member. If someone has less than 10 posts and they want to cross reference one, they will be simple to find.
Sorry, I don't get that point. My point is that if I'm new and have less than 10 posts and join here and post the same problem as I've posted elsewhere, I can say "I posted this question at Utter Access (or wherever) - all you have to do if you care is go look for it because it seems I can't post a link to it yet".

It just seems counter intuitive to post a link to the article about cross posting (the one we all seem to use) that tells people to post links to the other forums, but hey, not yet. You have to post trivial comments 9 more times, then you can post a link to your cross post". Sure, it is seldom practiced by someone the first time, but here we are telling them how to behave yet don't let them do what they should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom