Print Date and Time on button press (1 Viewer)

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:40
Got a strange request. When a user presses a button the Date and Time of the press is printed. Might I hook up the button to an rs232 port or usb port.

The pressing of the button sends an electrical signal (not a series of chars)

Any idea how to go about it?

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your reply. I believe for a printer in general. They need some kind of logging system, when someone enters a premise. They are being a bit secretive.

If I can capture the button press in a log file (which can later be printed somewhere) then we are done.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:40
Create a table with a single field named "fldDateTime" and set its datatype to Date/Time

Create a form based on this Table. Place on the form a Command button and a textbox.

Name the Text box "txtRecordNow"

Link the Textbox to the field in the table "fldDateTime"

Enter in the on Click event for the command button the following code:-

Code:
'
'
'
DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
    Me.txtRecordNow = Now()
'
'
'

Last edited:

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Apologies. When I said "press a button" I meant "press a physical button" not a form button.

Summarizing, someone enters a premise, presses a physical button (connected to a pc) and upon pressing the button a ticket is printed on a printer connected to the pc with the date and time.

Can someone suggest how to capture/interface the physical press of the button? Maybe with an rs232 connection or usb connection?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It's possible but is it desirable?

You would need to have a PC running constantly, just for this task.

Where as the Internet of things offers many ways of creating a simple logger, connected to a log table in the Cloud for probably less than $100... (I haven't looked)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
This is a requirement from the customer. We understand that there is a need to have a pc on at all times.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Coming at it from a different angle I thought well maybe some one has done this before.

So I did a Google search on >>> USB VBA "push button" <<<

And there's quite a lot of ideas out there and some videos on particular proprietary Solutions, I suggest you have a look yourself.

In particular this one looked promising:-

http://www.usbbutton.com

The webpage is a bit busy and didn't render that well on my mobile so you'll probably better off having a look at it on a PC...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom