Solved Problem Creating ACCDE (1 Viewer)

Umpire

Local time
Today, 04:05
(Rookie Access user) When I try to create a ACCDE from my database, I get an error that says Microsoft Access cannot create the file.
Reading through the forums, it appears that the most common problem is with bad VBA code.

I have no self written VBA code. Everything I have is done by the built in wizards.

I suspect that I may have a link somewhere to a table or query on a form or report that did not get updated when I made some change in the past. Will that cause that error? And is there any way to help locate the offending link/form/report? All of my forms and reports appear to be working. They open and display the expected information just fine just fine.

Does it matter if I create the ACCDE before or after I split the database? And does the save location matter? I am working with a copy of the database on my machine. I will split and ACCDE the actual database once I get the bugs figured out.

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. The main job of creating a ACCDE is to compile any code. So, you are correct. If a code can't compile, then an ACCDE cannot be created. Make sure any code compiles. To do that, go to the VBA window (Alt-F11) and click Debug > Compile ProjectName. If you get any errors, you'll have to fix them first.

Last edited:

Umpire

Local time
THANKS, I did not think I had any code to compile as I had not written anything. When I ran Debug, it found some old embedded code from an on open event where I was trying to handle the no records returned situation. There was no outward indication that the code was still there. Once I deleted the code, (It didn't work and I gave up on that for the time being) I was able to create the ACCDE.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
THANKS, I did not think I had any code to compile as I had not written anything. When I ran Debug, it found some old embedded code from an on open event where I was trying to handle the no records returned situation. There was no outward indication that the code was still there. Once I deleted the code, (It didn't work and I gave up on that for the time being) I was able to create the ACCDE.
Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
As a point of emphasis, you should NEVER, ever, use any Access application except that you click Debug > Compile every time after editing anything and prior to deploying...An uncompiled database shouldn't even be attempted to be used, accde or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom