Solved Problem with MS Surface and Model Box (1 Viewer)

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:47
Hi,

I am using a MS Surface tablet for a visitor kiosk using MS Access 2016. I have several fields that are required and thus will pop up a msgbox indicating the fields are required if left blank.

The problem arises when filling out a text box and the enter key is pressed using the on screen keyboard, the keyboard will re-hide as expected to move onto the next field but the modal box will also hide behind the form at the same time.

I have done several tests and it always hides the modal box when the keyboard hides itself which causes the app to freeze as the modal box will not come to the front of the form creating a loop where the box cant be selected but it also cant be brought back to the front.

Thanks,

Jake.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:47
I note that you have yet to receive a reply to your question. I'm not surprised because not many people are using these flat screen devices. However one chap here does use one occasionally and that's @isladogs ... I think he might be able to help. Hopefully he will see this thread!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
suggest don't use a message box - instead use a subform on your main form - it can be hidden when not required

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Jake
As mentioned, I use a tablet regularly with Access apps including apps designed to be used in kiosk mode.
However, I've not experienced the issue you describe, possibly as I rarely use modal forms.
Can you upload an example that I can test

Cotswold

Local time
@isladogs I've not experienced the issue you describe, possibly as I rarely use modal forms.
Hello @isladogs, I was a little surprised that you rarely use Modal Forms. Virtually 100% of mine are Modal.
To my mind if a form is opened and then another from that, and maybe a third from the second, I always
have these as Modal. I only allow the user to close in the order of 3,2,1 and never 2,1,3 or whatever order
they happen to decide.
With Modal=False the user can close the first whilst leaving the other two open. If a user has Form1 open
and being edited, then opens Form2, they could shut Form1 in an incomplete state.
(unless of course you prevented that on the Form1 Close. But Modal=True removes the need for such error code.)

Does it not compromise your program control by handing this option to the user?
Or are you just referring to your Kiosk type software?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I use overlapping windows display and normally only have one form open (or at least visible) at a time.
When a new form is opened, the previous form is either closed or hidden using code.
One exception would be popups for specific purposes e.g. a popup zoom form.

All interaction is via forms. End users have no access to the nav pane or ribbon. This means I can control exactly what order things happen.
In my experience, having multiple forms open at once is an unnecessary distraction for end users.

Therefore there is normally no need to make forms modal in my apps. I can't remember the last time I did so other than as a demo.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's a matter of design - all mine work off a single form with dynamic subforms. The only time I use popups/modal is when the user moves a subform to its own window or the occasional time where msgbox or inputbox is not appropriate.

jjake

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:47
I cannot post the database. I ended up just creating my own message box using a form and changing modal to no so at least if it disappears behind the main form the visitor can still press the check in button again and it will pop up after the keyboard has already dropped.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Glad you found a solution. For a kiosk app, I see no benefit in having a modal form

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom