Prompt User for a Custom Report Name and add it to the report before opening (1 Viewer)

kengooch

Local time
Today, 14:10
I have a button on a form that allows users to create custom reports through the use of multi-select list boxes. Then there are several reporting option buttons on the form. The following code will open the report with the filtered records.

Private Sub Command202_Click()
'This Code Handles the Report based upon the Filter selections
DoCmd.OpenReport "rStfCmpltChkLst", acViewReport, , vSetFilters
End Sub

I was trying to give the user an option to create a custom report name. I added an unbound text box to the report and named it vRepTitle then added an inputbox request to prompt the user for the report name and assigned that value to vRptTitle, then I tried to pass that title to the unbound text box but it doesn't work. Here is the modified code I tried that doesn't work.

vRptTitle = InputBox("Enter the Report Name", "Get Custom Report Name", "Default Custom Report Name")
DoCmd.OpenReport "rStfCmpltChkLst", acViewReport, , vSetFilters, vRepTitle = Me.vRptTitle
End Sub

Would appreciate corrections

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
One approach is to use the OpenArgs argument and then assign it's value to the Textbox in the Open event of the report.

kengooch

Local time
One approach is to use the OpenArgs argument and then assign it's value to the Textbox in the Open event of the report.
I am not familiar with OpenArgs... can you explain further?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I am not familiar with OpenArgs... can you explain further?
You could try:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenReport "rStfCmpltChkLst", acViewReport, , vSetFilters, , , Me.vRptTitle
Then, in the Open event of your report,
Code:
Me.vRepTitle = Me.OpenArgs

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:10
You could add the custom name box on the form as an unbound ontrol. Use the OpenArgs argument to pass the value to the report. In the Open event of the report, set the value to what is in OpenArgs:

Me.txtCustomReportName = Me.OpenArgs

Don't use prompts. Use formfields to collect the arguments. You can pass them usingOpenArgs or you can pull them in the Report's RecordSource Query:

Select fld1, fld1, fld3, Forms!yourform!txtCustomReportName As CutRptName
From YourTable

If you use the query to "pull" the variables, you can bind controls to them and you don't need code at all.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:10
you also need to make sure vRptTitle has a Value (in case Cancel button is clicked on the InputBox).
Code:
Const sDefaultTitle As String = "Student Complete Checklist"

vRptTitle = InputBox("Enter the Report Name", "Get Custom Report Name", sDefaultTitle)
    If Len(vRptTitle) = 0 Then
        vRptTitle = sDefaultTitle
    End If
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rStfCmpltChkLst", acViewReport, , vSetFilters, vRepTitle = Me.vRptTitle

End Sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom