Protected View button in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:36
This may sound like a newbee question but after many years using Access I'm stumped

Since downloading an example database (not sure if it was one from this site), the irritating but useful yellow bar with the Enable Content button no longer appears in Access 2010.

As a result, newly downloaded databases remain read only as the content is still protected

I've looked in Trust Settings in program options and the Protected View section is missing so I can't restore the yellow bar.

Oddly its present in Word 2010 & the setting is enabled so its specific to the program & not Office.

Despite google searches, I can't find a solution that applies to Access 2010
I'm currently reinstalling Office 2010 from scratch but there has to be a better solution. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Reinstalling Office hasn't helped. Its still missing!

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:36
If the databases remain read-only, there is an issue to check in the security settings on the folder where this occurs. Also, if you are in a domain-based environment where your site security wonks sometimes tinker with local policy settings, it can become possible for you to have issues. There are some policies that can cause this behavior.

If "Protected View" is missing, I wonder more about policies than anything specific to the database itself. I admit that it is odd that Word works but Access doesn't. However, Word is far less likely to have active code or "registry baggage" (for lack of a better term). Access is likely to have both, which sets the two programs apart.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Doc Man

Thanks for your reply

First of all, I'm on a standalone computer at home - not a domain
Nobody has used the computer except me.

The issue started sometime in the last 2 days
In that time, I've not downloaded anything other than a few user databases from this forum & one from another site in order to provide assistance.
No new software installed - anti virus came up with no infections

Folder permissions haven't changed.
In fact, the issue occurs for any downloaded database no matter where it is located.
The enable content button doesn't appear but the database is read only.

Protected View settings are still not visible in the options ... trust settings area

If I copy all items to a new database in the same folder it is editable as you would expect.

Just to further confuse you & me, I also have Access 2016 installed.
If I click on a newly downloaded database using that, the Enable Content button appears. After clicking it, all appears fine AT FIRST.
However after changing any data it also reverts to read only ....

I am utterly confused by all of this & don't know what else to try other than running a system restore

I do believe it is something to do with one of the user databases I reviewed but I've no idea which one.

It does mean that I'll stop looking at forum users example databases for now, In fact if you look at my recent record in top posters that may well be a good idea!

Certainly there is one rude & arrogant forum member (the one supposedly with over 30 years experience & 3 degrees) that I wish I hadn't bothered to try & help recently. Mind you he feels the same about me!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:36
If you have a good antivirus scanner, run it NOW. Allow it to quarantine or delete anything it finds. If you DON'T have an A/V scanner, GET one. If you get a disk from a store, they often have a way of running that scan by booting from their disk (though not always.) Since a virus CAN'T write to a "closed" CD/DVD, it can't be infected.

The idea that your "Enable Content" button appears until you do something means it isn't a global Windows setting but might be a file system issue. If your folders have MODIFY permissions, that should be all you need. Having the DB on the local machine SHOULD mean (particularly if you are the file owner) that the DB should not be locked against you anyway.

You might also want to schedule a run of the disk integrity checker to be sure you don't have corrupted files on a back disk track. I would think that you would get a Windows BSD if you had a bad track, but Windows drivers have gotten so sophisticated lately that they seem to be able to prevent normally fatal events from always being fatal.

One last thought: If this is recent, use the Windows Update page to see the last updates - particularly the dates of same - to see if a recent patch nailed you. If so, you could review the KB numbers to see what Microsoft THOUGHT they were doing for you.

As to "Mr. 3 Degrees and 30 years" - take a look at what I laid on him on that post looking for info on ReDim statements.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi doc man

I've already run a full antivirus scan. Came up clear.

Tried System Restore based on a restore point from 2 days ago but it failed.
Yes there have been some recent updates that I will try reversing if they look relevant

I can get round the problem by setting the location as trusted in trust settings or by using Access 2016 but I prefer 2010 which I use for development work due to reference issues in the VBE

At some point, I may do a fresh install of Windows but I can get round that for now

Finally its been great reading all the responses to the 3 degrees problem. He really knows how to lose friends and alienate people

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom