Query to find specific skills (1 Viewer)

fredp

Local time
Today, 07:27
hi, I am working on a school project called employee skills. I have a table of skills, each has a check box, which if checked is true. I am trying to write a query that will find who has a specific skill. Any suggestions?

Monardo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:27
SELECT *
FROM [table of skills]
WHERE [SKILL1]=True

Change [table of skills] to real table name
Change [SKILL1] to real skill field name

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
I guess that you have more then a skill table. Maybe you have a employee table to. You need to create another table to combine the two tables. That becouse one employee can have more skills and one skill can be on more employees. Then you have to think of the queries you need.

fredp

Local time
Thanks Monardo and Catalin.petrut,

Here's what I have concerning this question (query):
I am using an EMPLOYEE table, an EMPLOYEES_SKILL table, and a SKILLS table. These are new SKILLS and EMPLOYEE_SKILLS tables. But I am still not getting the query to work. Here is how I have it written:

SELECT SKILLS.Skill, SkillID
FROM SKILLS
WHERE (((SKILLS.SkillID)=True));

When I run the query it returns what is really the SKILLS table. It should ask be (a parameter) what skill I am looking for. I would then enter the skill in a parameter box, and it would return any employee with those skills.

Thanks guys,
Fred

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
If you use a form to choose the skill, will need to create a query with skill id (on the criteria you will reffer to the field - a combo box, best idea - in the form), employee name.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:27
Thanks Monardo and Catalin.petrut,

Here's what I have concerning this question (query):
I am using an EMPLOYEE table, an EMPLOYEES_SKILL table, and a SKILLS table. These are new SKILLS and EMPLOYEE_SKILLS tables. But I am still not getting the query to work. Here is how I have it written:

SELECT SKILLS.Skill, SkillID
FROM SKILLS
WHERE (((SKILLS.SkillID)=True));

When I run the query it returns what is really the SKILLS table. It should ask be (a parameter) what skill I am looking for. I would then enter the skill in a parameter box, and it would return any employee with those skills.

Thanks guys,
Fred

Catalin is on target as to how to use a Form to get what you are looking for. However, if you want to do it via a Query, then you should be able to use a standard Parameter Format like [Enter Skill Code] and compare the result to the Employee Skills Table.

SELECT {Whatever you wan to select}
FROM [Employee Skills Table]
WHERE SkillID = [Enter Skill Code]

This should provide a start. Of course, you need to substitute the appropriate Table and Field Names.

fredp

Local time
I got it! It was pretty easy, but somehow I screwed it up. Redid it and it works in a report and a form. Thanks everybody!:p

BTW, This was how I felt yesterday:banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom