Solved Query Using Combo Box (1 Viewer)

Hecronis

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:19
I would like to query a list box refining the search using a drop down menu. When on the first option (Which is blank) I would like to see all items in the list box, but when I select a name from the combo box I want it to refine the search using whatever is selected. I have tried a lot of different combinations in the query's criteria but I am not getting any results, like it's not finding any of the data. Let me know what other information you need.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you search this forum for the topic "Cascading Combo Boxes" you will find many solutions. It is a common question that has been answered many times in many ways.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:19
How is the information in the drop down menu (Combobox?) Related to the information in the list box?

Can you provide examples?

Hecronis

Registered User.
Local time
How is the information in the drop down menu (Combobox?) Related to the information in the list box?

Can you provide examples?
It's going to be a list of about 6 names. I just want it to display all of the search options on the blank entry and only refine the results when on one of the other options.

Now that I know it's called cascading I will search the forums for something. I'll keep this open until I find a solution.

Hecronis

Registered User.
Local time
Access.png

Here is what it looks like. I want to be able to refine the search any or all of those 3 criteria. I don't know if that is considered cascading or not. I tried searching the forum for that but wasn't quite finding what I was lookin for. I was able to figure out how to search for the names of the people but using the drop combo boxes is proving to be challenging for me.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I wonder if my search form might be of interest?

If you would like a free copy, contact me with a private message, and I will explain how you can get a free copy.

Hecronis

Registered User.
Local time
Here It is

Attachments

• Navigator Database.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 488

Hecronis

Registered User.
Local time
View attachment 93300

Here is what it looks like. I want to be able to refine the search any or all of those 3 criteria. I don't know if that is considered cascading or not. I tried searching the forum for that but wasn't quite finding what I was lookin for. I was able to figure out how to search for the names of the people but using the drop combo boxes is proving to be challenging for me.
I didn't even think about this until now. The "Navigator" box will respond to the "Navigator Active" box and will either show active or inactive navigators. The "Navigator" box and or the "Client Active" box will then be used to narrow down the client list. Sorry I didn't explain that before. I have been running around like a crazy person at work today.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
I would like to query a list box refining the search using a drop down menu. When on the first option (Which is blank) I would like to see all items in the list box, but when I select a name from the combo box I want it to refine the search using whatever is selected. I have tried a lot of different combinations in the query's criteria but I am not getting any results, like it's not finding any of the data. Let me know what other information you need.
I think your best approach would be to follow the example shown by Allen Browne. He also has an example database there for download.
See: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hecronis
The attached db may be of some help.

Attachments

• Navigator Bob001.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 479

Hecronis

Registered User.
Local time
Hecronis
The attached db may be of some help.
Thank you! That worked perfect! I did have to modify it just a little bit. The VBA code needed "AND" at the end at the arguments instead of "OR". Then it sorted everything fine.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Thank you! That worked perfect! I did have to modify it just a little bit. The VBA code needed "AND" at the end at the arguments instead of "OR". Then it sorted everything fine.
Always glad to help if I can ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom