Question on Covid19 Vaccine that makes me anxious (1 Viewer)

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:51
Hey folks,

I don't know if this is the right forum area to have this thread - anyhow I would like to vent a bit...

It is a global news that a vaccine for Covid19 is ready to roll-out in public. But it keeps ruminating inside me that this vaccine is not still safe. I am not an expert in the medical field. But what is the proof that a vaccine produced in less than a year be safe, effective compared to those who undergo a 6 or 8 years medical study? I'm already worried with the virus itself that mutates so fast, the easily infects a person and here comes the vaccine that I am uncomfy with. 😣😖

You may find it shallow but anxiety overflows me.

I dont know how not to think about it . 😞

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 04:51
There is NO such thing as 100% "safety". A lot of universal humanitarian goals such as "safety", that makes the concept of "safety" overblown. Furthermore, the concept of "safety" can be distorted by various entities to promote deceptive agendas. So one has to be cognizant of that possible deception.

There will be people, who die from some unexpected adverse reaction to one of the Covid-19 vaccines. And, as you have already acknowledged, Covid-19 as well as other infectious diseases mutate over time rendering existing vaccines as potentially "useless". At some undefined subjective point one needs to simply accept the risk of taking the vaccine as a superior alternative to not taking it.
You may find it shallow but anxiety overflows me.
Your anxiety is a normal human reaction. Nevertheless, my editorial comment is that Covid-19 fears have been successfully hyped by the Democrats and the media to manipulate the gullible public by fostering unwarranted anxiety. The primary basis, Biden (falsely) claimed that the Trump administration was doing nothing to address the Covid-19 pandemic. Pelosi also indirectly admitted that Congressional action to address Covid-19 concerns was being purposely delayed until Biden assumes the Presidency. Yet, vaccines have now been developed in record time, are now being released, and being distributed to the public. Unfortunately, the success of the vaccine development/distribution effort is too late to for the Trump administration to receive the benefit of that success.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'd get it, but I definitely respect it's a personal choice. I see the R&D and Testing phases as a little bit like having a home built, new construction. They'll say it takes 6 months or more. But of course, it would be physically possible (and just as safe), to do it in 1.5 months, if all the players were "lined up" just perfectly correctly. But lining them all up to do work immediately and with no intermissions costs a lot more. Work done in a hurry commands a premium, so they don't, they go the path of least resistance.

That's about how I see the vaccine. It was always possible to do it faster, but there are a LOT of players involved, and not normally feasible to do so. The pressure from the Trump admin and the obvious need of the overall situation pushed them to their limits, but I suspect it is approximately as safe as any other vaccine.

Plus, people are always worried about vaccines--look at how many anti-vaxxers there are, still worried about vaccines that have been used for 100 years now.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:51
watch out for a lot of fake news about the vaccine causing people to die. If you are aged 80, then statistically you have a 1 in 10 chance of dying before reaching the age of 81 whether or not you have had the vaccine.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I willingly sent all my children for their statutory injections, like measles mumps and rubella. I was concerned especially for my first child and I spoke to my Doctor Who explained it to me like this, I thought it was an excellent explanation. He was an old school doctor.

My doctor told me that there was a 1-in 1000 chance of an adverse reaction in any of my children to the vaccine. But he said it was important that everyone had the MMR vaccine, important that everyone took this 1-in 1000 chance with themselves and their children because this vaccination built up the defence of the whole population, and as in the case of measles practically wiped out this virulent childhood disease, which can, and does, cause much damage to the people it infects.

This is the same Doctor Who advised me not to have my tonsils removed when I was getting constant tonsillitis attacks, in my teens. This was at a time when if you showed the slightest problem with your tonsils, you were straight into hospital and had them removed. It has since become apparent that your tonsils, which were thought of as a a nuisance, are actually providing you with a first line of defence against many infections.

Having said that, regarding this new covid virus vaccine, I will probably avoid being one of the first people to have it. It's Akin to having an operating system upgrade! Let's see what happens to other people before trying it ourselves!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Alaska health care worker suffers adverse reaction after COVID-19 vaccine.
This is not a "call" to not take the vaccine. There is no such thing as 100% safety. People have to accept a degree of risk that could turn out badly whenever doing everyday activities, such as driving a car. There are always a few people who will have this type of adverse reaction to any medication. Just because a few people have an adverse reaction does not mean that the vaccination program should be stopped for further study. It should go on with continued study.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
People have to accept a degree of risk that could turn out badly whenever doing everyday activities, such as driving a car.

Indeed! If there was no such thing as a car and you invented one tomorrow and demonstrated it driving along streets at 30 miles an hour passed small children and pedestrians, well, they would never let it happen

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The media and the Democrats have hyped the danger of COVID to frighten the population into passivity to great success. COVID is much more infectious than sessional flus but it is not more deadly and that is the fact that they are hiding from you so they can control you. Do your own research. All the numbers are available. If you are over 80 and/or have comorbidities, you need to be concerned. If you are young and healthy, not so much. If you are young and healthy, you are much more likely to die of a seasonal flu. Does that mean that you should never leave your house during flu season? If we'd done practical things in the past like emphasizing hand-washing and social distancing during flu season, that would probably have saved a lot of lives every year and so we should actually emphasize this practice going forward but locking down a society because the politicians want to stop ALL infections is simply insane. It is very much like banning automobiles to stop people from dying in car accidents. We already know that the infection spreads primarily INSIDE and among family groups. Outside, in the sunshine, stay upwind of people to be safe :)

You also need to wonder why no one dies of flu anymore? People who die of any respiratory illness, die of COVID because the hospitals get paid more. Some of the states have started fixing this but not all.

The current objective to NEVER allow anyone new to get infected is simply dumb. It is completely irrational. You can't stop COVID infections totally and you can't stop flu infections totally. We think the new vaccine is going to be very effective but we have no history to prove this. We'll just have to wait 8-10 years to see the long term effects of the vaccine. We know that the annual flu shot is only 30-40% effective. It's the drug company's guess as to which strain will be prevalent for any given season. Some years they guess better than others. Does that mean you shouldn't take the flu shot? No. It really depends on your health. and whether the risk of the vaccine which is only marginally effective is less than getting the flu. Given the death rate from COVID for the elderly with comorbidities, i think it would be crazy to pass on the vaccine unless you know you've suffered adverse reactions in the past to vaccines.

What does stop the spread of a virus is herd immunity. The left poo-poo'd this because Trump suggested it. If Trump suggested it, we must unite and fight the Orangeman at all costs. Orangeman evil!!!!. Trump recommended hydroxychloroquine for early treatment and possibly as a prophylactic and the media "experts" went to the mattresses and so the governors banned it. How many people died because of that stupid decision??? There are stats on that also. Look for the comparisons between countries that treated early symptoms with hydroxychloroquine and those, like the US banned its use. If the disease is not severe for most people, then the best solution is to allow as many healthy people to become infected as possible. So instead of shutting down, we should be opening up. And schools should never have been shut down. That was the work of the evil Teacher's Union who refused to put the children first. The demands they made in California back in the spring are simply sickening. I would ban the Teacher's Union if possible. That's how bad they are. They are all about themselves and your children simply do not matter. Protect the ones who actually are in danger and vaccinate them as soon as a vaccine becomes available. Instead we vaccinate members of Congress first because they are "important". This is the sick culture we are living in.

Regarding masks. Please read the box. You will find that there is no mask on the market that claims to block virus'. Even the most effective, disposable N95 (which most people can't bear to wear for any length of time) are only marginally effective. The masks stop large particles, fluids and smoke but virus' pass right through. If you do any research, try to compare the pre-COVID expert advice to the politicalized advice we get today. It's getting harder and harder to find because Google is blocking it.

For years we've been weakening our immune systems with the over-use of bacterial soap. Just JYI, bacterial soap doesn't kill virus'. https://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article241225781.html

The problem with using anti-bacterial soap for everything is the same as taking antibiotics for infections that no one has tested to confirm that they are caused by bacteria. At some point, your life or that of a loved one might depend on being treated with an effective antibiotic and due to over exposure to antibiotics, many have become super-bugs and not affected by antibiotics.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
For years we've been weakening our immune systems with the over-use of bacterial soap. Just JYI, bacterial soap doesn't kill virus'. https://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article241225781.html

The problem with using anti-bacterial soap for everything is the same as taking antibiotics for infections that no one has tested to confirm that they are caused by bacteria. At some point, your life or that of a loved one might depend on being treated with an effective antibiotic and due to over exposure to antibiotics, many have become super-bugs and not affected by antibiotics.

This morning a commercial was on the TV advertising a home hepa filter device. Considering the need to protect ourselves from the Covid virus the use of a hepa filter reasonable (home, hospitals, airplanes, car, etc.). Advertisements such as this are pushing, using fear, for ultra cleanliness. But is ever greater sanitation actually beneficial in the long-run?

The article below takes the side that ultra sanitation is excessive.
We take long showers, change clothes every day and wash our hands regularly. Is this doing us more harm than good?

Pushing "cleanliness", in terms of Covid-19, has resulted in some unintended consequence. These are not from the typical calls for cleanliness, but the associated actions, such as social distancing and deferred health care. Similar to ultra sanitation, does the imposition of restrictions for the objective of reducing the transmission of Covid-19 result in greater adverse impacts to overall health? For example, you reduce the Covid-19 death rate, but increase the cancer death rate due to deferred medical treatment.

We need to take some time and evaluate whether the quest for ultra sanitation is a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll bet the censors in Silicon Valley haven't seen this one or they would have slapped it with a fact check warning because it contradicts the current cleanliness hysteria. Apparently no one pays attention in biology class any more or they're failing to teach important aspects of how the human body functions. Being averse to creepy crawly things, I was pretty skived out when we looked at slides of what lived on and in us but killing the critters without regard to consequences is just plain stupid and ultimately self destructive.

We have many more people today with food allergies and other allergies because they were over "protected" as children. When my daughter was a baby, the consensus was to give babies foods like peanut butter and strawberries when they started eating solid foods. Always introduce new foods in small quantities was the mantra. Now parents are terrified at the thought of introducing peanut butter into the diets of their children and as a result, more children end up with severe, death threatening allergies that could have been avoided by early exposure to allergens. The approved treatment for allergies is exposure to small doses of allergens so you can build up a natural immunity. Everything else just mitigates the symptoms.

I ran into one of these mass hysteria events at a client site a few years ago. It is so sad, it's funny. The company sprang for lunch every day and on Fridays they ordered from California Kitchen. So it was pizza and salads. There were 50 of us and they got about 10 salads. 9 of which contained cheese. I don't like cheese so Fridays were a problem for me since I didn't get to order what I wanted. I didn't eat the pizza or 9 of the 10 salads so my options were pretty limited. The ONE salad they ordered that didn't contain cheese was a Thai Chicken salad which had a peanut dressing and peanuts. We got a new employee after I had been there for a couple of months and she was allergic to peanuts. So instead of putting the Thai salad on a separate counter (the serving area was huge) to keep it from accidentally contaminating the other salads by people being sloppy with the utensils, she insisted that we stop buying it. The fact that the food came from a kitchen that used peanuts didn't seem to have any influence. I didn't ask her if she refused to enter a food market that sold loose nuts. I was a consultant and didn't want to sound snarky. So, I went out to lunch on Fridays.

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, There's no 100% guarantee of safety. So that is why I made this thread to gather opinions from people. Thank you so much for sharing and for sure all your opinions are of great help though personally, I am still in doubt about taking the vaccine and I need more time to think about this than not to think about it at all.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you are 70+ or have comorbidities, it's a no brainer. If you are younger and healthier, then the choice should be yours. Getting out of bed every day is a risk. Life is nothing but taking risks. Nothing you do will ever prevent your death. Regardless of how many people each day die in car accidents, you still get in a car if you need to go someplace too far to walk. You practice defensive driving to mitigate your risk. I practice defensive programming:) Life is about managing risks. You cannot live your life shaking in a corner.

It is quite likely that the hysteria has spread so far that you will be ostracized if you don't take it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:51
From what I am hearing, average folks like me in south Louisiana will probably not even have the opportunity to get COVID vaccine until some time in April, based on the stated priorities of who will be prioritized. I'm not quite old enough and not quite high-risk enough. (That's what I get for looking after my health.)

By the time it gets that far, I will have some data regarding allergic reactions. If, as I suspect, it is no worse than the adult-dose flu vaccine I got last year, I'll probably take it.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Sounds more like an argument to get the vaccine NG. I'd rather give than recieve.

I just hope the vaccine works against the British Virus.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
What a childish response. It is a mutation of Covid-19, which some have referred to as the "China Virus". Some, those on left, consider the term "China Virus" have racial implications. Since you purposely used the loaded term " British Virus" it would appear that you have done that, for the simplistic shock factor, to make a racist statement.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Since you purposely used the loaded term " British Virus" it would appear that you have done that, for the simplistic shock factor, to make a racist statement.

Or to point one out.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Sounds more like an argument to get the vaccine NG. I'd rather give than recieve.

I don't want something injected into me that has been rushed through FDA approval,, in no way has been thoroughly tested for side affects or even long range affects and may or may not stop the spread but only mask the symptoms.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't want something injected into me that has been rushed through FDA approval,, in no way has been thoroughly tested for side affects or even long range affects and may or may not stop the spread but only mask the symptoms.
I agree especially with news coming out about pressure being exerted on the FDA. Given the current distribution plans it looks like I'm eligible sometime in Feb. I'm not sure I want to rush to get it. Hopefully there will be more information by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom