realistic dreams (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 21:30
I've been having this problem lately, where I will wake up as soon as I get "stuck" in an impossible situation in the dream i'm having. Like for instance, just a while ago I woke up feeling like my life was over when the following happened in the dream:

=> I was driving my car and 2 of my coworkers were riding with me. we were driving back to iowa city from chicago. there was an 18 wheeler semi truck following us that my coworker ryan cared a lot about. apparently it was carrying content that belonged to him and his life depended on keeping the content in his sight at all times and not losing it. so I swore to him that I would drive slow enough and take routes easy enough to where the truck driver could follow me and not get lost. but when we came up to a very complex interchange of several off ramps at a crossroads of 2 interstates, i got confused and took the wrong offramp and it led us into a remote isolated area away from all the buildings of the city we were driving through. when ryan found out that the truck was no longer in sight he had me stop the car and was cussing me out left and right. he said I had caused a serious threat on his life and he threatened to take me to court and destroy my life because getting lost was my fault.

I felt terrible about it and got out of the car thinking I just caused someone's life to virtually end and didn't know what I could do to fix it. I contemplated ending my own life because I was so depressed. but at that moment is when I woke up. The dream felt very real, like some I've had that have ended in this "impossibility" scenario. there was another one not too long ago where it ended at the exact moment my car was flying through the air headed for a crash landing in a corn field, where I was behind the wheel and my 2 brothers were passengers.

one of my other coworkers, nicholas, told me that this type of dream irregularity actually has a name associated with it. I can't remember what he said but he told me what it was last night. has this happened to anyone else here? I have a feeling it is a result of me being maybe a little overly stressed with all the software apps i'm currently contracted to write. most don't have any deadlines so it's not like i'm under any pressure. I don't get much sleep at night and I haven't for like 3 years now. Usually it's about 3-5 hours a night, waking up 2 to 3 times during that range of hours.

anybody got any insight on this?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The dreams reflect your anxiety and the possibility that your work will lead some business down a rabbit-hole. I.e. you are pressured by the fact that you feel responsible for your work and you are aware of the consequences of failure.

The fact that it is recurring simply means the stimulus hasn't gone away. When I was still with the Navy, I had a few "disaster on the way" dreams. Probably had to do with the fact that the machine I was running for the Navy was the one they used when it was time to mobilize the US Navy Reserve force. Most of the time that machine only assured that reservists got credit for (and thus got paid for) what they did as reservists. But a few times we DID activate units during Desert Shield and later, Desert Storm. Yes, I felt stress and had crazy dreams then. It happens.

As to not getting much sleep, that's on you. Try to develop a habit of going to bed on a very regular schedule even if you really don't think you are tired.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 02:30
No insight but it was interesting for me you wake up and not only you remember your dream but also the details.
I sleep only 3 hours a day (for the past 14 years) and I don't think I have enough time to dream at all....

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I don't have insight into your dreams, but what I do now is that they can have a profound affect on your life..

I have a medical condition whereby I suffer from Night Terrors, I'm a 50 year old male, not a 6 year old child, In the midst of my night terrors I physically attack my partner in the bed next to me, thankfully it is very brief and very infrequent but it can be pretty frightening if somebody who doesn't know it sees it or on the receiving end of it..

• Wow
Reactions: Jon

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:30
No insight but it was interesting for me you wake up and not only you remember your dream but also the details.
I sleep only 3 hours a day (for the past 14 years) and I don't think I have enough time to dream at all....

Wow, three hours a day. Me and my wife have been watching our granddaughter for most of a year (she will be one on the 30th). Getting by of three hours of sleep would have really helped us. I am fairly useless unless I get at least six hours (preferably eight hours).

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
The dreams reflect your anxiety and the possibility that your work will lead some business down a rabbit-hole.
I don't know if I believe that richard. no business that i've worked for has encountered a disaster because of my work.

and the website I'm currently building is going to have a purpose of helping business oriented people communicate effectively with technically skilled people in order to promote business growth and future employment (there will be other content like code in various languages for programmers to use, but that wont be the primary purpose).
As to not getting much sleep, that's on you. Try to develop a habit of going to bed on a very regular schedule even if you really don't think you are tired.
I sleep on the couch every night, but my father tells me I should make it a habit to go into the bedroom and sleep on the bed as that's what it's for. but I have tried lately to shut the electronics off at least an hour before hitting the sack. that's what the experts say to do, to allow your brain time to disconnect from the screens.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I used to read a book before going to bed (tried to make sure it was not too engaging, otherwise I would just keep reading until I fell asleep with the book in hand).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't know if I believe that richard. no business that i've worked for has encountered a disaster because of my work.

Misinterpreted my comments, Adam. Anxiety is FEAR. You have never had a bad result - but under pressure you FEAR having a bad result. No matter how confident we might feel, there is always that subconscious fear lurking about and waiting to pounce. Fear doesn't have to be conditioned on past experience. It is all about the unknown.

It is always symbolic. For instance the dream about waking up naked is actually the fear of being discovered as a fraud.

The dream about getting lost is actually the fear coming from the realization that you don't always know what you are doing, or think you don't.

The dream of being alone is actually the fear of chasing away your friends by being some type of bad person.

The dream of going to Hell is actually ... well, let's not go there, shall we?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Then I have had a number of dreams (re-living high school days) where I get to my locker and I forgot my combination. I also have had a number of dreams where I get 'lost' or get separated from family members.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Misinterpreted my comments, Adam. Anxiety is FEAR. You have never had a bad result - but under pressure you FEAR having a bad result. No matter how confident we might feel, there is always that subconscious fear lurking about and waiting to pounce. Fear doesn't have to be conditioned on past experience. It is all about the unknown.
point taken. thanks. i get it.
The dream of going to Hell is actually ... well, let's not go there, shall we?
i've never had a dream like that, but hey, did you know that mel gibson is making a sequel to "the passion of the christ"? apparently part of the movie is gonna take place in hell, where apparently a lot of the biblical scholars believe jesus went during his 3 days of "death".

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:30
I have no insight to my own dreams, let alone anyone else's but I do think I have a cure for some dreams. Problem is, you can't consciously apply the cure. Here's the skimpy evidence:
I am quickly walking with a destination in mind and come across an outdoor public pool. Lots of people are in the pool. The pool is in my path of travel and rather than walk around it, I step off the edge (fully clothed) into the deep end, plunging much deeper than I ought to. I struggle to make it to the surface and always do, whereupon I wake and realize I have been holding my breath. This happened about 5 times over a couple of years.

One night I didn't make it to the surface and inhaled water (in the dream of course) meaning that I drowned. At that point I woke with the realization that I was again holding my breath but had what I would describe as a distinct feeling of having died. Obviously I can't say what that feels like for real, but it was quite disturbing nonetheless. Have not had that dream for quite some time now. The cure then, is to crash the car in the cornfield and get it over with. :D

Word of advice to anyone who lacks sleep on a consistent basis - get checked out for sleep apnea. Lack of sleep does a host of bad things to your body as well as your mind/memory. You might actually be contributing to your early demise.

Last but not least, if you saw the movie Inception and figured it was interesting but impossible to dream inside of a dream, I can tell you from experience that it's not.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I have had dreams where I was 'knew' I was dreaming, but I could not wake up.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I have had dreams where I was 'knew' I was dreaming, but I could not wake up.
it's interesting you mention this Kev. because i've many instances where, at the exact point I "tell myself" to wake up while I'm dreaming, I do wake up at that instant. and it's usually at a point in the dream when the "impossible" starts to take hold and I realize it's not true while in the dream state.
if you saw the movie Inception and figured it was interesting but impossible to dream inside of a dream, I can tell you from experience that it's not.
I know this also, from experience. and christopher nolan actually said that he talked to the military about their experimentation with dream sharing before he made that movie!

deletedT

Local time
Word of advice to anyone who lacks sleep on a consistent basis - get checked out for sleep apnea. Lack of sleep does a host of bad things to your body as well as your mind/memory. You might actually be contributing to your early demise.

Though you're absolutely right, but before being anxious about my health down the line, I have to worry about the bills at the end of the month.

I always justify sleeping only 3 hours a day this way:
If I sleep 8 hours a day as we're told is the best and I live 90 years, I will end up sleeping 30 years while I'm alive. Do you believe it? I've been sleeping (being dead) 1/3 of my whole life.It means that I've been awake only 60 years.

But if I sleep only 3 hours a day, and I die at 70 because of health problems, I've been sleeping only 8.75 years and that's only 1/8 of my life. It means I've been awake 61.25 years.

I'm still winning the game.

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I've been sleeping only 8.75 years
let us not turn this into a religious discussion, but FYI Jesus said on multiple occasions: "they are just sleeping"....referring to people who have passed on.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
guys,

another thing I've noticed, and I don't know if this is from a lack of sleep or not, is that I've had this "tingling" sensation in my throat for the last 2 weeks. you know, the kind you get when you're coming down with a head cold or the flu. I haven't gotten sick yet, but it kinda makes me think that my body is telling me I'm getting run down and my immune system is having trouble keeping up.

does anyone think I should go into the doc for this? every other time I've had this was at the onset of either the flu or a head cold. but I haven't been sick in years.

deletedT

Local time
does anyone think I should go into the doc for this?

Why not? Why do you hesitate to do a check up in a hospital? I've heard American has a lot of problem with their ....what do you call it? ... Health care? or Medical insurance?......

Does it cost too much over there?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Why not? Why do you hesitate to do a check up in a hospital? I've heard American has a lot of problem with their ....what do you call it? ... Health care? or Medical insurance?......

Does it cost too much over there?
the healthcare system here is a huge debate and it always has been. we don't have socialized medicine, but I suspect someday it will become inevitable. I DO have insurance and it is good coverage so I will probably make an appointment. it's probably stupid to ask such a question when I can go in for little cost. sorry bout that!

<edit>
I scheduled for next monday. so should have it looked at pretty quick.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I suffer from Night Terrors, I'm a 50 year old male, not a 6 year old child

To address the implication in that statement. I used to consider people with phobias strange at best, and silly at worst. I couldn't understand how someone could let themselves be scared of a spider or a fly or a paper cup on the table. Whatever peculiar nature their phobia took, I always thought it was something they could address if they really wanted to...

Then I was involved in a car accident. Driving along the motorway, the traffic started to slow and I found myself at the rear of a bunch of slow traffic. A car plowed into the back of us, me and my family in the car even the dog! Luckily no one was hurt, the only issue was the dog jumped out of the broken rear window and crossed the motorway, but we recovered him safely.

The car was repaired and returned, and it became necessary to join a Motorway again. I was a bit apprehensive, but it was fine, no problem. A few months went by and I found myself on a Motorway again, and this time it was different, the traffic started to slow. A Terrible fear came over me, my hackles raised on my back, I can't explain how deep the fear was, I just hope I never have it again! It passed and I have been in a similar situation on the motorway and although I am unhappy and check my mirrors obsessively I've never experienced that phobia again... I now have a great respect for anyone with phobia, and similarly for you, with something that takes you over, something that you have no control over. I can't think of anything much worse.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Uncle G, I have a phobia to this day. I can go to the med lab and give blood samples for testing - but don't show me the needle.

When I was a kid, about 6 years old I think, I had tonsillitis SO bad that my white blood count mimicked leukemia. I had to have antibiotics on multiple drips and as a kid, you KNOW that I had to pull those drips out - so I had to be restrained for over a day before my white count returned to something more reasonable. Eventually the tonsils came out and all was well with the world - except that do this day, I can't see the needle. The pain of the actual venipuncture? Hell, I stub my toes worse than that. Just don't show me the needle or you will be picking my butt up off the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom