Recommendation on an Introductory Book (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:53
Any recommendations on an introductory book for MySQL and PHP. I have looked at O'Reilly website and they have: "Head First PHP & MySQL". I was looking at another book, "Learning PHP & MySQL, Second Edition", but it got crappy reviews. I just saw this book, Build Your Own Database Driven Web Site Using PHP & MySQL, Fourth Edition, no reviews yet. It came out this past June. Based on the title, this is what I intend to do.

I will also be looking at Amazon.com.

I will take a look at the on-line documentation too, its just that I found hard copy books to be an easier learning tool, even if they cost.

The screen shots for the project: "Analog Science Fiction And Fact Database"

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
Today, 15:53
A couple of thoughts:
You have already developed in access so why do you want to move to PHP and MYSQL? Yes I understand you want to host but what you are trying is quite a leap.... why not look at the visual studio express package to create your site on known/similar ground?

To move the data accross there are quite a few packages that will automate this for you, both MYSQL and PostgreSQL(Look at this!) are normally supported - also dont forget that you can link to both of the above with db's with ODBC drivers natively from your current db. Just watch the settings for your bool fields and int's

I know the help file included in postgres is really good btw might be the same with MySql

As for PHP I would be out of my depth commenting on that!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
My experience level with websites = 0. Where I live, there isn't much of a community to network with on these issues. Though I did attend, this past week, a community college course on the process of obtaining a domain name and possible hosts. In two weeks they will have the next course on designing a website, which should shed more light on things such as "visual studio express". Additionally, I am looking for LINUX applications to move away from Microsoft. Its going to be a slow incremental crawl.

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
Today, 15:53
"Moving away from microsoft" - stated on a MS access forum! Hell your brave....:D

I actually use Linux a fair amount! Have found Postgresql on redhat server really stable. Good Luck in your endevors

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:53
My experience level with websites = 0. Where I live, there isn't much of a community to network with on these issues. Though I did attend, this past week, a community college course on the process of obtaining a domain name and possible hosts. In two weeks they will have the next course on designing a website, which should shed more light on things such as "visual studio express". Additionally, I am looking for LINUX applications to move away from Microsoft. Its going to be a slow incremental crawl.

At least you know how to go about GETTING a website. I live in a town with 70000 and a dude from the army asked me how to get a website space the other day! :rolleyes:

Steve,

I am a huge fan of PHP and MYSQL, although I have more experience with PHP myself. I think it's a terrific language. For one thing, it is very quick acting, and the function usage for complex procedures and website code writing is incredibly abundant. the resources are plentiful. make note though that PHP has no GOTO statement. waaaa waaaa ;) Next version will yield a fix to that though!

I learned it all through hard knocks and internet searches so I wouldn't be much help about a book rec. my belief is that you learn more of this stuff with 3 things (well, actually 6 things)....QUIET TIME, DETERMINATION, HUMILITY, AND 3 COMPUTERS (or 1 if you prefer). :cool:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 06:53
Rickard reported to mods/admins for spam in signature and violation of signature rules.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I got the book "PHP, MySQL, & JavaScript" by Robin Nixon. Just arrived so, I haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Also, MySQL, PHP, and Apache are up and running on my Linux computer and I can access the default webpage on the Linux computer from my WindowsXP computer. It's going to be a while before I actually get around to working on the webpage.

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
It's been a while now since your first post, by now you may already be a PHP Master. :)

There is a GREAT site for PHP beginners that you may find useful...
PHP 101

Good luck!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It's been a while now since your first post, by now you may already be a PHP Master. :)
If that were only true. Alas.

Last night I finally got around to importing the author data into MySQL on my UBUNTU computer from my WINDOWS computer. Also I was able to connect (UBUNTU) Open Office Base to the MYSQL author table, but since I know nothing concerning Base, I am left dazed and confused with "What Now?" :confused:. Well - I will grind away at it.

I also can also access my UBUNTU computer from my WINDOWS computer using my browser, so that is functional. Now to read the book!:D

A resource that I always seem to forget is the library!!!! Our local library had access to only one (old) book on developing a webpage. For some unknown reason, I perused our State library (North Carolina). A whole bunch of books popped up. Now I will need to explore how to get the most relevant book through inter-library loan.

The lesson, libraries (even in the age of the internet) can still be a valuable resource.

Bokler

Local time
The books I have read and that I can recommend:
PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (2nd Edition)
by Larry Ullman
Beginning PHP5 (Programmer to Programmer)
by Allan Kent
Creating Database Web Applications with PHP
by Jeanine Meyer
Creating Your Web Site with PHP
by Dmitriy Koterov

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom