redirect to a site showing the original url (1 Viewer)

giovi2002

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
I would like to redirect my site to another site while keeping my URL in the browser.
I'n using a country domain name which only can be hosted by several companies asking too much money. So I bought the name (with a simple hosting account without mysql) and would like to connect to another site which is mysql enabled.

So what it factually does is you'll type :www.myurl.de and it should show the content of a www.myurl.org domain whilst showing the www.myurl.de to the user.

Is there a possibility to do this?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:56
A couple of things you could do:

1) use a couple of frames on your .de page with your navigation links in one and set your links to open in the second frame the links will be your .org site pages

2) Use an iFrame - this will allow you to set the entire .org site within a frame on your .de site and it will load automatically

Code:
<iframe id=test1 name="test" src="http://www.google.com" width="200" 
height="200" scrolling="No" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" ></iframe>

You can change the size of the frame to reflect the size of the .org site.
This has all the parameters available.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:56
Minkey said:
Providing your ISP will do this ;) :p

Hi Minkey,

Have you ever come across a web hoster that doesn't give you access to the DNS settings of your domain? I never have done so just presumed it was a standard service.

giovi2002

Registered User.
Local time
Minkey said:
Providing your ISP will do this ;) :p

Is impossible, many country domains can only be hosted by providers registered with the country authority. They abuse this (or the fee for membership with that country authority is that high) that they charge much money for hosting.
For instance if you have .nl you come along higher prices (maybe also because data traffic costs more money than in US).

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:56
I'm sure as long as you have a domain registered with a hoster, and as long as they give you access to your DNS settings, that you can point that domain to look at any IP you want.

I have successfully done this with a .co.uk domain registered by a UK hoster. I have amended the DNS settings to point to a different IP address hosted on a US server which does not register .co.uk domains. As long as you're not wanting to actually register the domain on the 'foreign' server you wish to point to then you're good to go. The US hoster actually encouraged me to do this because I am using their hosting plan as opposed to the UK hoster's plan.

giovi2002

Registered User.
Local time
Ok dan-cat a good hint, I'll be giving it a try!!

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:56
That will work but I thought the url would be of the new site not the old one but thinking about it the url in the address bar is resolved by the DNS of the ISP hense the ability to spoof web site :rolleyes: - I think the heat is getting to me :p

giovi2002

Registered User.
Local time
Minkey said:
That will work but I thought the url would be of the new site not the old one but thinking about it the url in the address bar is resolved by the DNS of the ISP hense the ability to spoof web site :rolleyes: - I think the heat is getting to me :p

it should be possible as long As i'm using an IP which doesn't already point to a domain. Otherwise two domains pointing to the same IP..I donna know, probably technically possible but I wonder or it is allowed

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom