References Problem? (1 Viewer)

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:37
For many years I have been developing apps with A2003. I have now installed A2013. When I open a db now with A2003 I get an error whenever I try to run some code. The error message says, “The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: ‘Object or class does not support the set of events.’

I believe this may be caused by a problem with references.

Can anyone offer some advice please.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Bob, have you gone through the reference list, checked if they are compatible? I think there are a few references that have been thrown during 2007-2010, which might be still hanging as "missing". Also sometimes, the error might not always be the one that is being triggered. If the module is missing the reference, any method that references this library will still cause the error.

I am sure you would have had a look, but thought I might still put this up : http://www.access-diva.com/d5.html

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Paul

Thanks for responding to my plea for help.

I have attached a very simple db to illustrate the problem. Perhaps you take a look at it.

It works fine with A2013 but throws the error messages when used with A2003.

Attachments

• My New2013 App.mdb
    512 KB · Views: 45

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
It works well with A2010. Sorry I could not check with anything less. I will go home and test it in 2007 if needed.

I though you had problems when you upgraded. Well the problem I think is a bit evident, when you go back to A2003, some reference issues is sure to arise. As the newer version will have an updated library which might not be available/un-recogonized in an older version.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
It works well with A2010. Sorry I could not check with anything less. I will go home and test it in 2007 if needed.

I though you had problems when you upgraded. Well the problem I think is a bit evident, when you go back to A2003, some reference issues is sure to arise. As the newer version will have an updated library which might not be available/un-recogonized in an older version.
Thank you. I think it will work in A2007/2010/2013 but not in A2003.
I think that it needs a reference to "Microsoft Access 11.0 Object Library" but that seems to have vanished from the available list. Can only guess that that went when A2013 was installed. Any ideas on how I can get A2003 working again.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
For the benefit of anyone following this thread:

I opened the Control Panel and carried out a "Repair" of the Office 2003 program. This seems to have fixed the "References" problem. I will post back if that changes.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 00:37
Sorry to chirp in late in the discussion. Found it interesting that Control Panel actually helped out with this. Would not have thought to look there.
What version of Windows are you using?
I have Access 2013 on my Window 8 system at home. Use Windows 7 for Access 2010 development.
You probably did this but it might be worth a mention for others who read the thread looking for a solution.
When my conversion from an older version of Access, jumped two versions, there were issues that reminded me of yours. Bob Larson reminded me that createing a blank database in the target version, then importing all objectes from the different version might help. It made a huge difference and my problems at the time went away. The import all objects as opposed to opening a different version and letting the Access make the conversion during the open.
Thanks again for sharing the Control Panel.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
RX Thank you for your interest.
What version of Windows are you using?
Windows 7
When my conversion from an older version of Access, jumped two versions, there were issues that reminded me of yours. Bob Larson reminded me that createing a blank database in the target version, then importing all objectes from the different version might help. It made a huge difference and my problems at the time went away. The import all objects as opposed to opening a different version and letting the Access make the conversion during the open.
Actually, I'm not all that interested in using this latest version for development. I have been using A2003 for many years now and intend to continue with it for long as I can. I only really bought and installed A2013 because so many posters here now use A2007/2010/2013 that it was often difficult to direct them on how to do something without having used the newer versions, not to mention the problems when they post their db in one of these version. It was all very irritating, as Access can often be.:rolleyes:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Bob

what might happen is this

you build an app correctly in A2003

when you open A2013, the default access library for A2003 changes to v15, instead of v11. now you get the error. You need to reinstall A2003, as you cant change the library manually

Reinstallation used to happen automatically when switching between A2003, A2007, and A2010 - but doesnt with A2013

I found a note about this on Lebans site a few days ago when I had a similar issue

(and after i had spent 2 or 3 hours on all the normal fixes, just as I expect you have!)

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Bob

what might happen is this

you build an app correctly in A2003

when you open A2013, the default access library for A2003 changes to v15, instead of v11. now you get the error. You need to reinstall A2003, as you cant change the library manually

Reinstallation used to happen automatically when switching between A2003, A2007, and A2010 - but doesnt with A2013

I found a note about this on Lebans site a few days ago when I had a similar issue

(and after i had spent 2 or 3 hours on all the normal fixes, just as I expect you have!)
Dave. Thank you for your interest. Well I certainly spent a lot more time and suffered far more frustration than I wanted to. Still, I think it must be these kinds of little nuances that turn us into Access addicts. :rolleyes:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Bob, now I read the posts more carefully, I see that's what you did in #6

from your posts it sounds like you didn't have versions in between A2013 and A2003. When you switched between versions in those cases, the selected version used to reinstall each time. As it doesn't do it now, you have to do it manually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom