Reporting spam (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 18:05
Hi all,
Just reported the latest spam poster.
Normally you can see that it has been viewed several times, with no replies, but no idea as to whether it had actually been reported previously.?
Do the admins tend to get multiple reports for the same post?

I'm reluctant to add a post of Reported, as that would go back to the poster?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:05
I think usually one of us spots them and takes them down before many views at all. Spamming here isn't very effective.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Spamming here isn't very effective.

I occasionally take down a Spam before anyone sees it. I suspect others do too.

Lately the spam is better, in that its more like a legit post...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:05
According to the forum software, only moderators can see the "message tail" hanging off of a reported message, so don't worry about the spammer seeing it. Every now and then I will yank the rug out from under a spammer. User reports help me find them. It's not like there is such a huge backlog, either.

We have one pending non-spam report that I don't quite know how to handle and all other reports of any kind have been handled (as of this morning). I know as a moderator that I appreciate the reports because the forum software makes it easier for us to find them and evaluate the situation. The last three cases I examined (not counting the one I don't know what to do) were some persistent advertiser posting a link as the title to the article - clearly a rules violation and easy to find because we had a report to follow.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No, I mean, if I add a reply of 'Reported to admin', then likely the spammer will see that post.
However as Colin mentions, that might not be bad thing.
I myself however, would just like the spammer to know/think that their post was just ignored though.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:05
Feel free to report it if you're not sure anyone else has. Someone had reported the same one you did but yours just shows up as a second person reporting the item, not a new item. I'd rather it got reported twice than not at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom