Returning to Access After a Long Hiatus (1 Viewer)

ad8ef

Local time
Yesterday, 22:07
The last version of Access that I used was Access 2000. I was a software developer for a number of years, primarily for the banking and financial industry. Stocks, bonds, annuities, etc. using C, C++, VB. I used Access pretty extensively for prototyping, and for the front end interface for SQL Server databases. I haven't used Access for several years now, and have forgotten a great deal. I have also noted that VB is no longer available - just VBA. Although that is somewhat disappointing, Access is still a very powerful tool. I am in a position now as a Registered Nurse where I need to write a Client Management System that is quite complicated, but for a relatively small number of records. Access should be perfect for my needs. I really look forward to tapping into the wealth of Access knowledge apparent in this group!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 19:07
Welcome, great to have you !

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome back to the fold!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:07
I was a software developer for a number of years,.. using C, C++, VB.
SQL Server databases.
Nice skill set.
I have also noted that VB is no longer available - just VBA.

There is still VB script and of course VB.NET.

The Visual Studio Editor for VB.NET is an amazing tool that will suck up VB code, adjust some of it automatically, tell you what else needs to be fixed and suggest how to fix it. The main difference is the completely Object Oriented nature of .NET. I've pasted VBA code into it and had it running in a few minutes.

Even though there is advanced stuff like connectors in .NET they are really just wrappers. It will still happily run the low level ADO connection code to SQL Server etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom