Riots in Minneapolis (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:09
I didn't say there was no penalty, I said it is rarely applied.
It can be a mando year and a day OR $1500 fine or both.
Let me fact-check it for you. Wait, no need. Because the source I linked to and quoted already said, "as well" as the fine. See below:

if you fail to appear on a felony charge, you will serve no less than one year and one day as well as a fine of $1,500 for the failure to appear. This is what is referred to as a mandatory minimum; the judge cannot sentence you to any less than one year and one day for a felony failure to appear.

So again, this is in direct contradiction to your claim. It is not OR and it is mandatory, not rarely applied according to the source, which is a criminal defence lawyer in Minnesota.

I am far from being an expert on US legal matters, but the wonders of the internet help out a great deal.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Specifically running a story about police using air fresheners as that pretext...
Funnily enough, that lawyer YouTube channel I linked you to talked about this. Apparently, people are often getting pulled over for the air fresheners thing. And then it is can be used to move further up the chain of potential offences. "Hmmm, I can smell drugs." etc. I haven't seen the article, but I agree with Moke on this one, regarding pretext.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:09
Funnily enough, that lawyer YouTube channel I linked you to talked about this. Apparently, people are often getting pulled over for the air fresheners thing. And then it is can be used to move further up the chain of potential offences. "Hmmm, I can smell drugs." etc. I haven't seen the article, but I agree with Moke on this one, regarding pretext.
Oh, I completely agree that. I already know police use minor pretexts for pulling people over - it's an oft discussed US policing tactic.

They also regularly follow suspected intoxicated drivers for many miles, waiting for something minor to stop.

I was referring to the obvious deceptive tactic of a headline "Yes, police can pull you over for air fresheners", which is clearly based on a mistaken Daunte made in thinking that was why he was pulled over - thus adding (wrongly) to people's outrage over the Daunte case.

As for bail, liberals are generally trying to weaken the bail system

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
"How would you feel knowing that your Black son was XX times more likely to be killed by the police than your White child?"
I would say stop doing the things that put you into frequent contact with the police, such as committing crimes, and then resisting arrest which further exacerbates the problem.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was referring to the obvious deceptive tactic of a headline "Yes, police can pull you over for air fresheners", which is clearly based on a mistaken Daunte made in thinking that was why he was pulled over - thus adding (wrongly) to people's outrage over the Daunte case.
I agree with you. Reckless headlines that will lead to more death and carnage.
As for bail, liberals are generally trying to weaken the bail system
In Minnesota, they have very strong laws regarding the bail system.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
In Minnesota, they have very strong laws regarding the bail system
That helps explain why BLM had to pony up so much actual CASH to get rioters out of jail...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Fatherless, male children suffer.
If all blacks became Republicans, they will then believe in adhering to the family unit! Fatherless families are one of the biggest factors regarding poverty, regardless of your skin colour. Come over to our side, we are nice really!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That helps explain why BLM had to pony up so much actual CASH to get rioters out of jail...
Wasn't aware of that. Daunte had bail set at $100,000. Who paid it, I have no idea! Unless no one did. Not sure how it works over there.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Don't be fooled by the seemingly high amount. To actually post the bail, you often only need 10% of the set amount - and the bondmen take credit cards and sometimes provide loans.

Bail is an obviously useful system, in theory. Require people to become financially invested in keeping their word.

If bail were "disproportionately affecting poor people", (whatever in the world that might mean, which the definition is probably quite arguable in various ways) - that simply means that the method of determining bail amount needs to be better and more accurately adjusted for ability to pay.

Anyway, to me, a headline which makes it look like Daunte was pulled over for air fresheners, even though the truth turned out to be different and much LESS of a pretext, continuing to run the story based on his mistake seems deliberate, to me. That's not the reason he was pulled over, but running that headline next to his case makes it look like he was...Until you look into it.

But, you might be right, I can't say for sure. Maybe pulling people over for air fresheners actually is a big problem in Minnesota, and they had that story planned from before the Daunte incident .... and maybe you should buy a lottery ticket today too! :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Maybe pulling people over for air fresheners actually is a big problem in Minnesota
Let me go remove mine from my car... :rolleyes:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Wasn't aware of that.
Racial justice groups donated huge amounts of money which was actually used to bail people out of jail, people who had been arrested for various kinds of violence during Floyd-type protests.

Do you suppose they did that for anyone swept up in the January 6th riot?
- similar frustrated people
- similarly frustrated based mostly on a false narrative

Nope.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is a lot of money sloshing around after the 4-homes founder started BLM. They took in something like $10 billion last year. I was astonished when I found out. Imagine the propaganda you can spread with that sort of money. Imagine if she went into politics and got elected president. Whites in chains, huge amounts of reparations bankrupting the US, while ignoring the Jews who were in the millions regarding slavery. Let us remember that Jews are whites. And the Jews (whites) suffered far more than the blacks, with 6 million murdered just 80 years ago.

Murdered < Slavery < Freedom

People like to ignore the whites under slavery in Germany, because it goes against their narrative. Then again perhaps it is because they are using a US centric lens.

If I have some DNA that suggest I might be related to some white people in Germany, does that mean I am also entitled to reparations?

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:09
Let me fact-check it for you. Wait, no need. Because the source I linked to and quoted already said, "as well" as the fine. See below:

So again, this is in direct contradiction to your claim. It is not OR and it is mandatory, not rarely applied according to the source, which is a criminal defence lawyer in Minnesota.

I am far from being an expert on US legal matters, but the wonders of the internet help out a great deal.
A criminal defense lawyers website who is trying to drum up business.

heres the statute:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes... person charged with,on an order or condition

heres the relvent portion:

Subdivision 1.Felony offenders.​

(a) A person charged with or convicted of a felony and released from custody, with or without bail or recognizance, who intentionally fails to appear when required after having been notified that a failure to appear for a court appearance is a criminal offense, or after having been released on an order or condition that the releasee personally appear when required with respect to the charge or conviction, is guilty of a crime for failure to appear and may be sentenced to not more than one-half of the maximum term of imprisonment or fine, or both, provided for the underlying crime for which the person failed to appear, but this maximum sentence shall, in no case, be less than a term of imprisonment of one year and one day or a fine of $1,500, or both.
Note the Year and a day OR a fine of $1500 OR both. In legalese the "Or both" wouldn't be needed if jail time were the only option. Clearly shows the intention of the language.

Also note the affirmative defense:

Subd. 3.Affirmative defense.​

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it is an affirmative defense to a violation of subdivision 1, 1a, or 2 that the person's failure to appear in court as required was due to circumstances beyond the person's control.
"I had no ride", "I was sick", "I had no one to watch my kids", "I ran out of gas" A lot depends on the judges mood that day. Also depends on your history obviously. The excuses only go so far. Another thing that happens often is that it is continued out past the trial date and dropped at that point as moot.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Maybe pulling people over for air fresheners actually is a big problem in Minnesota,
I saw that it is actually the handicapped parking permits which are the biggest offenders.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I saw that it is actually the handicapped parking permits which are the biggest offenders.
I can see where driving with a large piece of plastic hanging directly blocking your vision could be a traffic hazard worthy of a traffic ticket.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Ready for this:
Yet:
The double standard exists. Also the name of the Capitol police officer is not being released yet Kim Potter was identified.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I know this is totally unrelated, but your comment made me think about handicap parking passes in general. When it comes to the proportion of totally undeserved permits, it's got to be somewhere around 80%! Just my opinion of course.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It's fascinating how liberals have successfully convinced a large number of people that white-on-black crime is an epidemic. Do any of them know the real numbers? Of course they do. They've been well published, but ignored by mainstream media.

The real truth is, America doesn't have a problem with interracial crime in the first place.

- Out of all white victims of violent crime, approx 90% are white perpetrators
- Out of all black victims of violent crime, approx 90% are black perpetrators
- Out of all interracial crime, POC-on-white crime actually proportionately higher than white-on-POC crime.

Total number of unarmed blacks killed by white police officers in a recent year: 17
Total "increased likelihood" of blacks being killed by police compared to whites - AFTER adjusting for actual crime rates among each demographic? Zero.

That's the "epidemic" that BLM type organizations are forever radically changing America because of. A total fiction.

Like Trump said, Fake News...And very dangerous fake news, that must be stopped at [almost] all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom