row version (1 Viewer)

zezo2021

Local time
Today, 15:10
This record has been changed by another user since you started editing it. If you save the record, you will overwrite the changes the other user made.

Hello friends

I use SQL server online hosting

this message appears to me

I read on a post

we should use RowVersion to solve the above message

my question is:
The error message above shows only if SQL Server is hosted online?
By Default should I use RowVersion?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 06:10
No, the location of the SQL Server instance makes no difference at all in this situation.

One should probably use RowVersion, or as it was formerly called, TimeStamp, in most tables, but like almost everything about Access, there's no single right way to do it. If the table is a transaction table (i.e. adding new records and updating existing records is the main role of the table), it probably benefits from having a RowVersion field in it. If it's a pick table, or lookup table, primarily a source of data, such as warehouse locations, used by other transaction tables, then it probably doesn't need one.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:10
Having a RowVersion in a table saves Access from a lot of work since it can easily tell if the record you are trying to update has been modified since you retrieved it. I use it in all tables. Some things you don't need to think about lest you forget.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 06:10
Having a RowVersion in a table saves Access from a lot of work since it can easily tell if the record you are trying to update has been modified since you retrieved it. I use it in all tables. Some things you don't need to think about lest you forget.
That's a good point. It doesn't hurt to have one, and having a consistent approach is a good thing. Point taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom