Solved RTE 3464 using Where Clause (1 Viewer)

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:06
Hi all , hope all is good. Could someone explain please where im going wrong with this where clause, initially it was ok as the criteria only had one argument, now that I am trying to use two criteria in the query I'm getting RTE 3464 datatype mismatch in criteria. The initial query I had that worked was this

Code:
strSQL = "Update tblRma set removed = true, dateremoved = date() where text4 = " & Me!text4

Then i tried to change it to

Code:
strSQL = "Update tblRma set removed = true, dateremoved = date() where text4 = '" & Me!text4 & "' "

and this is where i get the error I'm assuming its a formatting problem?? I've tried just using single single quotes around the 2nd where criteria but no joy. Bit confused as to why its a data mismatch by the 2nd query.

The idea being that it should be like this:
Code:
strSQL = "Update tblRma set removed = true, dateremoved = date() where text4 = '" & Me!text4 & "' AND Line = '" & Me!Line & "'"
to use text4 AND Line fields to obtain the correct field.

Any help is appreciated

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Assuming text4 (Awfully unhelpful field name by the way) is a number then putting quotes around it would fail, and explain why query 1 worked.

What data type is Line? (Again if it's a Line number why not call it LineNo or LineID Then we'd have a better chance of guessing?)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:06
you can post a snapshot of the structure of table tblRma?

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
tblRMA.png

Hi Thanks for the replies, here's the table they are from....and i do need to update the textx fields to a better desription

thanks

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
so have you tried

strSQL = "Update tblRma set removed = true, dateremoved = date() where text4 = " & Me!text4 & " AND Line = '" & Me!Line & "'"

you don't need a removed boolean - the fact that removeddate (or dateremoved?) has a value tells you that

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:06
always check your fieldType, so you will know when to use Delimeters:

for string:
[fieldname] = '" & [texboxname] & "'"

for numeric:
[fieldname] = " & [textboxname]

for date:
[fieldname] = #" & Format$([textboxname], "mm/dd/yyyy") & "#"

chizzy42

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for that cl_london that seems to have done the trick and thanks arnelgp for the delimiter explanation clearest ive seen.

thanks to all that replied, as always well appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom