Rugby Word CUp 2007, who's excited.... (1 Viewer)

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:02
Excitment has reached epidemic levels in New Zealand with 3rd/4th play off tickets sold out.

Just thought I would get that one in before the Aussies bring it up ;)

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:02
I am kinda excited, but I think I would be more excited if I understood the game. thank gods for Setanta

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
thank gods for Setanta

Amen to that....they just started carrying Setanta on Dish network here in the States which I can get. It was here on DirectTv previously but their satellite is in a bad place on my horizon (too many tall trees) for me to get.

I'm SO stoked to be able to see the World cup this time around....I missed the last two altogether.

Here's hoping the AB's don't choke this time around. :) Even if they do, at least our goalkicker doesn't look like a constipated monk every time he kicks a penalty attempt ;)

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
Craig looks like we should be right for the final, assuming the aussies don't bushwhack us .... again ... flaming mongrels.

Pre tournment the teams that look like winning are (in no particular order)

New Zealand ... Graham Henry is keeping things up his sleeve

Australia ... never discount the sheep stealers

South Africa ... Habana could make a difference in a close one.

France ... playing at home should storm into the final

England ... after a few bad results seem to be getting things right

Suprises possible from

Wales ... will be there or there abouts if they don't suffer an injury toil, backup players not in same class as the first choice squad.

Ireland ... can beat anyone on their day, BOD is a serious blow

Argentina ... best pack at the World Cup imho.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 03:02
Suprises possible from

Wales ... will be there or there abouts if they don't suffer an injury toil, backup players not in same class as the first choice squad.

You obviously didn't see Wales v France on Sunday. Wales are currently looking v poor and may reach the quarter-finals if they are lucky. Ireland didn't impress against Italy (lucky to win in Belfast with a disputed try in the dying seconds).

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Australia ... never discount the sheep stealers
:D

Actually, this time around I suspect the AB's will not be complacent about the Aussies and I'm not too worried about that game. I'm most concerned about the French and the South Africans. France have been bloody impressive to my mind in their belt-outs against the English (I missed the France-Wales game but I'm not surprised the French downed the Welsh like so many rugby-jersey-wearing snails). Haven't seen much of the South African crew but they can never be ruled out....although this time around the All Blacks hopefully have their own chef along so that should help.

Not too sure what to make of the Irish side. They looked pretty good against England but they lost their chief whiner...er, Brian O'Driscoll who is a pretty good player once he actually gets on the field.

Watched the USA Eagles hit-out vs Munster last night. Not going to be loosing much sleep over them. Their No 11 is a pretty impressive runner but someone needs to teach him how to catch the darned ball when it is passed to him! Have to say, though, I admire the commitment of the USA players. 18 of them were refused time-off work to go to the world cup so they quit their jobs and are living together in a barn in the lead-up to the cup. Can you imagine the US Olympic basketball team doing something like that?

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
I think this is probably the most open World Cup ever. I don't think any team is consistently champion material over the last year or two.

Naturally, will support the Wallabies, but our form has been pretty woeful of late. We don't have match winners like Eales or Horan any more.

All Blacks will always be there or there abouts & I expect France to do very well.

Mostly, hope for lots of upsets from the 'minnows'. Tournaments (of any sport) are usually much better spectacles if a bunch of outsiders start overturning applecarts!!

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
You obviously didn't see Wales v France on Sunday. Wales are currently looking v poor and may reach the quarter-finals if they are lucky. Ireland didn't impress against Italy (lucky to win in Belfast with a disputed try in the dying seconds).

Just ran across the result this morning. Either the French are hitting their straps at exactly the right time or the Welsh have completely disintegrated from where they were a year or so ago.

Ouch for the Irish, though Italy are getting better season by season imho. The other team i will be watching will be the Canadians who seem to be also improving over recent seasons.

Australia, who I had written off a year ago, suddenly seem like the buisness. Of course that overseas win percentage is something of a worry for convict supporters. (Actually better make sure none of the Wallaby supporters in my office are looking over my shoulder).

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Well, first round underway and I have to say, the home-nations and france aren't looking too flash so far. I'm surprised by the french though: they're just lucky they're not up against SA/AU/NZ for their other 'major' pool game. Ireland look even worse than france so they should be right for the quarter final vs NZ. I'm picking Argentina to beat Ireland too. ;)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:02
Managed to catch the Wales v Canada game, at the weekend.

Was torn when Wales won it, as I had to weigh up whether celebrating a victory for my homeland was worth incurring the wrath of my Canadian beloved.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Tough call there :) Followup your celebration with a discussion of Canadian dominance of ice hockey and you might still have it both ways ;)

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
Closing on the quarters and the Saffas, Aussies, and kiwis are going okay.

England look not a trace of the 03 team, the French are a shambles, and other six nation sides don't look to hit.

Los Pumas doing well, though they could still be nudged out if Ireland down them by four tries and 7+ points.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Yep...I'm still backing the Pumas over the Irish (much as I love Ireland their rugby has been shoddy this tournament). I expect a NZ - France quarter final at Cardiff. I hope the AB's make a point to watch their semifinal loss to france from 1999(?) the day before the test. I think when the AB's focus and determination is finally sharpened up they'll step it up to a new level like they did for the first half of the Italy game. Of course, they're taking a couple of days R&R so here's hoping they don't come back too relaxed! ;)

Was amazed that Tonga took it to SA as well as they did. Makes the England-Tonga matchup even more intriguing :)

rsmonkey

Registered User.
Local time
I'm looking foward to S.A winning and making me some bucks!! (Im british btw) and i look foward to England loosing so they will train that little bit harder over the next 4 years.. its wat they deserve for being crap the last 4 yrs.... bastards

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Ok. Time to pick quartefinal results:

Aus v Eng.....I'm picking Aussie (despite my personal motto: I support two teams....NZ and anyone playing Australia)

SA v Fiji....S.A. by 20+ points

Arg v Scotland.... Argentina by 15 points

NZ v France ... NZ: Or there'll be rioting in Kiwiland. :D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'm looking foward to S.A winning and making me some bucks!! (Im british btw) and i look foward to England loosing so they will train that little bit harder over the next 4 years.. its wat they deserve for being crap the last 4 yrs.... bastards

I guessed they trained a little bit harder than you thought :p

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Does that mean we won, again:cool:

Vive la France! :D

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 14:02
Gutted, very disappointed. Have to say New Zealand must hold the world chocking award. Just can't believe that after the year that we have had, that we go down to the frogs.
But we have been here before. We'll be back.

Go Argentina!

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 14:02
:D
..."I'm most concerned about the French and the South Africans. France have been bloody impressive to my mind in their belt-outs against the English (I missed the France-Wales game but I'm not surprised the French downed the Welsh like so many rugby-jersey-wearing snails)....

Just how right you were mate. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom