Running Access VB code on the internet (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 04:15
Folks,

Does anyone have a quick tutorial or guidance on how to upload a database to a webserver and be able to run it as though you are running the access program yourself? I have Go-Daddy.com as my hosting site. I know it supports almost everything....PHP, ASP, etc...

My goal is to upload the entire database (or portions of it if need be) so I can run a couple of forms and about 1000 lines of code to sample some of my games for online users and current customers. Advice anyone? Thanks!

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:15
Hi Adam,

dont know about running the actual forms form a remote server but you can definately connect to a .mdb file on a remote server via asp or php.

there are some good programs around to create web pages to create to databases. WYSIWYG webbuilder is one and its really cheap.

it depends how veratile you want to be.

php seems to be better for MySQL stuff whereas Asp works well with .mdb files. Asp is very similar to vb whereas php is on its own yet.

regs

Nigel

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
ajetrumpet,

Just to add to what has already been said, you can also use Visual Web Developer 2008 which is a free download from Microsoft.

I use it and it is very user friendly. There is a leaning curve but there are plenty of video tutorials available.

HTH

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 02:15
When you say run some forms and 1000 lines of code... it sounds as if you want a rich client... that is, each client would have your application but need to connect to a centralized backend, is it?

If that is the case, then the only way this will reliably work is to make your application a front-end to a RDBMS such as SQL Server or MySQL. An alternative is to use Terminal Services & Remote Desktop Server, but if you need processing to be done on client-side, it may not work.

Good luck.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
ajetrumpet,

Just to add to what has already been said, you can also use Visual Web Developer 2008 which is a free download from Microsoft.

I use it and it is very user friendly. There is a leaning curve but there are plenty of video tutorials available.

HTH
Does it do what I want 'B'? And can I learn how to make it happen in less than a year, not being a web developer and all?

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
I had had some experience developing static web sites and had developed one very simple database applicaition using the old FrontPage software.

The background to my even attempting to do a project was driven by client need.

I had developed an Access appliction for a client. I did exactly what they wanted at the time we developed it. However, just as happens many times, shortly after we completed it, they became aware that there was a need to have the data available in read only mode (a fact the really helped with the development of my first project) by their clients without the need for Access and these clients were scattered all over one state.

My client manages all of the data and the uploading of a data set and support documents (Word and/or PDF docs) to the website via their Access applicaiton. Their clients only have to log onto the website to view their data.

As for what you can do wth it, well, I suspect that you are quite capable of doinig even more than me with VWD. I was fortunate that I have a web host that is also a web developer and a friend. (Wow what a combinationa) His help was invaluable.

As I indicated in a previous post, the price is right for you to try it. There are many leaning videos and there is a forum much like this one. (Thank God for Forums)

You just have to dive in somewhere.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Adam,

The first part is damn frustrating but learning is difficult until the penny drops, once you get there is becomes easier. You just need a little help from your friends. I know your site is currently based on html you can effectively replace all of this with Asp.

My own site is html just so that I could refresh myself with html, I started using asp with Access 1997.

I would use VWD and look at http://validator.w3.org/ to validate your output and XENU as a link checker, Google Webmaster Tools is another worth looking and WebCEO for analysing content.

Simon

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
All,

I started another thread, because the download of VWD expresses throws an error at me: Cannot install .NET framework. I can't get passed that point with VWD or .NET installations. Banana had suggested something, but I don't think it was applicable. I have a screen shot there if you care to take a look: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=175370

Any suggestions from anyuone here on this phenomenon?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
simon,

I have already downloaded that file, and I get caught up on the installation of the .NET framwork. the error simply says Cannot Install. Do yoiu have any ideas on why this could be happening to me?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
thanks 'B'. i located the .NET files on my vista machine. apparently, .NET is already installed on vista machines. that solves that issue. now if I can figure out how to bypass the installation of the .NET component of the VWD. :D

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
ajetrumpet,

I really feel a little bad that I even suggested that you try VWD. I did not intend to get you into such a confusing situation.

Hope you get it worked out soon, and that VWD acctually helps you out.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
well i'm not a web developer B, so it'll be confusing no matter what I do. I tried to download the VWD again, but it still won't let me passed the .NET installation, so i'm giving up on it. I think I will probably end up using dreamweaver anyway, and probably learning to work with it. i am going through tutorials now.

and BTW, I called go-daddy.com and they don't even support VB or VB.net code, so the VWD is probably not a good thing to learn as it might end up as a dead end road. i would hate to have that happen. i need something that i can learn in order to develop the web from this point on, cuz i'll probably be doing it for the company anyway.

dreamweaver has about anything you want in it, PHP, ASP, HTML, JAVA, etc...

I can't wait to dive in...ha ha

also, if I haven't asked you, do you have a database that actually RUNS on a webserver, or do you just connect to them by using ADO connections?

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Well, just for the record, I really don't consider myself to be a pro web developer. However, that doesn't mean that I won't give it a try.

Here is a link to my wife's Real Estate web site which, of course, I have to maintain:
www.markettrendrealty.com

Check it out and let me know what you think.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
it looks pretty good by my standards B. But of course, I have now done a few tutorials for Dreamweaver and I'm kicking a**. :)

This thing has so much capability it's unreal. But, as you can plainly see, I'm up at 3am working on it. I'll never learn it all, and I'm sure this time I'm putting in is not abnormal, even for pro web developers. I have a LONG way to go before I will even consider myself someone who is capable of creating a website.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Hi

for quick and easy web building, I use

wysiwyg web builder

It can do all database stuff too but it's dead easy to create a site.

Nigel

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Adam,

I used a file for Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition:

vwdsetup.exe 9.0.30729.1

I don't know if this helps?

Simon

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Adam,

I used a file for Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition:

vwdsetup.exe 9.0.30729.1

I don't know if this helps?

Simon
simon,

that's exactly the file that i errored out on. thanks anyway :)

Hey Nigel,

it's interesting you say that you use that web builder. i can certainly use it, and it's free too, but i want something better than that. as a matter of fact, we built a couple of sites using that thing before i found out what dreamweaver could do. when i get this down, i'll be able to blow that builder away. :D

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Adam,

Keep me in the loop as you progress with DreamWeaver.

I know you are now well on your way to becomming a guru web developer. Just don't forget your roots are here. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom