RunSQL store 2 lines in table (vbCrLf) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm17

Local time
Today, 15:49
Hi,

I am trying to use RunSQL update and I want to use 2 lines for 2 sentences to store. I am trying to use vbCrLf, can I use this in the SQL Line? (eg & vbCrLf &)
This works fine is MgsBox etc.

If not is there another way I can do this please?

Thank you

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE HealthSafetyKeyDates SET UpdateNote = Forms.HealthSafety.cbxFireHeading & ' updated by '  & Forms.Menu.UserDescription & ' on ' & date() & '.' & vbCrLf & Forms.HealthSafety.txtcount & ' used was ' WHERE Description = Forms.HealthSafety.cbxFireHeading"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:49
So far as I recall, vbCrLf is legal in strings for Access SQL. I recall having used it. Note, however, that not all utility programs use vbCrLf as a line terminator. For some programs, the LF is the terminator. For others, the CR. Still others use an ASCII NUL character as a line-ender. Using the Access constant gives you CR and LF in order. There is a vbCR and a vbLF, and if in doubt, you can ALWAYS use CHR$( number ) to select an ASCII character. Folks use the latter case quite for inserting literal quotes with CHR$(34). So go ahead and include your desired carriage control sequence. Just remember that not all utilities see it in the same way.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:49
Not understanding your requirement. Here is info on Update query.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:49
Code:
 "UPDATE HealthSafetyKeyDates SET UpdateNote = Forms.HealthSafety.cbxFireHeading & ' updated by '  & Forms.Menu.UserDescription & ' on ' & date() & '.' & vbCrLf & Forms.HealthSafety.txtcount & ' used was ' WHERE Description = Forms.HealthSafety.cbxFireHeading"

You are not escaping your string/variables correctly. Once you establish that you are using double quotes to declare your strings, you can't use single quotes to get out of those strings--you need to use double quotes to get out of them.

Var1 ="Plog Rules"
Var2="If I use single quotes inside double quotes and then an ampersand it will literally appear like its typed: ' & Var1 &'"
Var3="To get my value from Var1 to appear inside this I need to use double quotes to end the literal string, then an ampersand. " & Var1 & "."

Var2 does not contain the text 'Plog Rules'. It quite literally contains 2 single quotes, 2 ampersands and the text Var1. You can't go in and out of text strings by mix and hoping to match single and double quotes.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:49
I did a test using this syntax with RunSQL and it works without the vbCrLf. If you want to use vbCrLf, have to concatenate outside quote marks. Otherwise use:

Chr(13) & Chr(10)

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE HealthSafetyKeyDates SET UpdateNote = " & _
    "Forms.HealthSafety.cbxFireHeading & ' updated by '  & Forms.Menu.UserDescription" & _
    "' on ' & date() & '.' & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & Forms.HealthSafety.txtcount & ' used was '" & _
    " WHERE Description = Forms.HealthSafety.cbxFireHeading"
RunSQL will trigger Warning message. If you want to prevent, use SetWarnings or CurrentDb.Execute. CurrentDb.Execute would require concatenating form references outside quote marks.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:49
I mocked up a table and adjusted an Update query (approximating your example).

vbCrLf was not recognized by the query, but would work with vba.

I did not try using vba which is what your post was using.

Here is my example Update query that updated a record nor did I build forms.
I hope it's useful.

Code:
UPDATE HealthSafetyKeyDates SET updateNote =
"mySampleHeading" & " updated by " & " Barb Dwyer " & " on " & date() & '.'
& chr(13) & chr(10) & "250 lines of text " & " used was " WHERE Description =  "sample" ;
sampleUpdate.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom