Ryder Cup Crazy! (1 Viewer)

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Yesterday, 20:44
For all you golfers out there, it's finally time...

The best from the USA, led by current five-time consecutive PGA tournament winner and #1 golfer on the planet, Tiger Woods and backed by lefty himself, Phil Mickelson, my favorite player, the USA tackles a super European contingent led by, as usual, Paddy Harrington, Jose-Maria, Sergio and captained by woosie himself, Mr Ian Woosnam!

I have the greatest respect for all these players and have been very glad and grateful to have met many of them as they passed through Colorado's INTERNATIONAL event each year.

So, the USA climbs uphill but is this the year we regain control until 2008 or will Europe do something that has never been done; to retain three straight times...tune in tomorrow (9/22) for the beginning!

I'm celebrating with my own RYDER CUP tournament in the golf league I own and operate and will definitely be watching closely for any tips as we conclude our 10th year competing for the...GML WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Have fun watching it all and go USA!

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Europe leads...

Europe simply rules the four-ball competitions every year...our only chance, once again, is to hold off as long as we can, pick up at least 3 points today and find a way to charge on the single matches tomorrow.

It would be great to see Sergio play this well, week to week in PGA events; he has been the most interesting to watch!

If we can wake up a sleeping Tiger and get Phil going, the rest should follow; what I'd like to see is a couple of our other players get the chance to play this afternoon and sit Tiger and Phil down because it's simply not there for them today and we need points from someone...come on Tom, change it up and mix it up...that'll get our blood flowing...

R

Rich

What was the score in the end?:confused:

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
We got our asses handed to us, again!

9½ US versus 18½ EUROPE: unstoppable Euros!

As much about golf as I know, going on 30 years now myself, it's clear that the US team simply can not compete playing in this Championship!!!

The Europeans have a far better balance playing team format and have showed it time and again that simply makes our players unable to catch up but in all fairness, once we go back to medal play in weekly PGA events, European players all but DISAPPEAR!

It's just GREAT to see these other venues and amazing places in the world! Scotland and Ireland being other homelands for me as well, I watched the whole thing only for that reason; to see the small classic villages, the great new construction and modernizations, the people, the rolling landscapes, GREAT!!!

Maybe next time...we'll find out over here in '08!

I'm really looking forward to the showcase that CHINA will put on for us all at the '08 Summer Olympics!!!...or is it '12...can't remember...but it will happen and I'll tape as much as I can!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 03:44
The media quoted an unnamed American as saying put up $10 million and the result would be different, Do we really accept that the US players are only interested in cash and not the honour of their country, and is that why they also did not win the Baseball and Basket ball world championships?

Brian

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:44
Brianwarnock said:
...Do we really accept that the US players are only interested in cash and not the honour of their country, and is that why they also did not win the Baseball and Basket ball world championships?
As much as I hate to say it, I think you would find the outcome quite different if there was a sizeable purse involved.:eek: Some of our best athletes won't even take the field if they aren't paid...and some whine they don't get paid enough (greedy pricks:mad: )

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
The media quoted an unnamed American as saying put up $10 million and the result would be different, Do we really accept that the US players are only interested in cash and not the honour of their country, and is that why they also did not win the Baseball and Basket ball world championships?

Brian

I've played with a lot of PGA players and I know from my experience in varied tournament formats, in speaking with them, in asking opposite sides, etc...getting as full a story on all sides as possible and in considering my thrirty years of playing experience...at least in the golf world. no, it's not a money factor.

None of the top players need the purse money anyway, ever. The fact is Europe continues to practice and play these varied formats so naturally they are going to be that much more comfortable competing in them, and it shows, where in almost all US golf, these other formats are almost never played.

I'm very glad that Colorado hosts one of the very few alternate playing formats (our International features the modified Stableford scoring system). And I'm equally dissappointed in Tiger Woods as the #1 player for NEVER having played in our event, mainly for the change of pace and experience. Phil loves and as with most tournaments in his career will prove out, he's won it before and I'm sure he will win it again, even with next year's major schedule changes.

To our detriment, the US has lost touch with the beginnings of this sport and doesn't create enough opportunity to play the other formats in professional golf so it follows, if we win the Ryder Cup, President's Cup, or the like, it's great but a rarity!

When I coached in the public schools, I created a major issue by teaching my players ALL playing formats along with customized playing strategies and course management philosophies so my players were truly ready for any playing situation even though the league played Medal play only. One of my favorite coaching stories was in my third year at the annual District's competition meeting, I offered that this season, we should play Four-ball instead of the traditional medal play between all ten schools. Immediately, four of the entrenched school coaches that have been there longer than father time himself all stood up together and almost sang their dissapproval; it sounded like a collective William Hung from American Idol!$?!?

Naturally, they complained that their players didn't know about this playing format and that my players would have an unfair advantage and I simply said, yeah, you're right and that's YOUR fault!

Needless to say, I never won the Coach- of-the-Year award as voted on by my peers but that's not what I was coaching for. I was there for my kids, period! With this group of coaches I often thought if they did offer this award I was ready to decline it because growing up as a player watching these same coaches, "work", we all knew what a joke they all were with the exception of a couple who were actually decent players, good coaches, and good people. The rest were there for the big check and couldn't coach or make a three footer to save their lives!?#?$! Plus, I would have declined because I wouldn't have wanted to be, "one of the boys" in that group. I was very happy to rock the boat, tip it over, and try to sink them all because I knew my appointment and program would make them nervous and, it did!

So what happened? - In my five year coaching career, four of my players in my first three years went on full scholarships to CU Boulder; never done before in the school system's history, two of my players were the #1 player in the entire district their senior year, and I grew a program that was on the brink of collapse to well over thirty players; a school and district participation record. The first year after I left, participation dropped from my last season of 38, including a newly developed full Girl's Spring golf program to (6) and no girl's program because the new coach, "didn't have time" in the Spring...

If I ever coach again, I'll have to be bolder and not hang back as I did before$?!?#ha!!!:D

R

Rich

You mean kids need coaching on how to knock a little ball into a hole with a stick?:confused:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 03:44
I can see that a foursome might need a slightly different mindset , but why does a four ball?

brian

JoeCruse

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:44
Rich said:
You mean kids need coaching on how to knock a little ball into a hole with a stick?:confused:

Probably no more coaching than is needed to kick a much larger ball into a huge net :rolleyes: :D .

I appreciate GML's vantage point, but I still think there are more than a few golfers out there who are all about the money. I used to really like Fred Couples until I read an interview with him a few years ago. He was complaining (whining, really) about purses at events that he felt still lagged behind what is offered for other professional sports (baseball, basketball, american football especially, which are much more popular with more sponsor $$ because of the popularity). He felt golf money for the pros should be on par with the other popular sports, and he went on to say that he didn't think he could play in the time of Palmer and Nicklaus because the money was so much less back then, and he was amazed that they were able to carry on under those conditions.

I thought I was listening to a 22 year old NBA player when I saw those comments, not a pro golfer. Talk about out of touch with reality.

I do enjoy watching match play, and I really like the other scoring system you mentioned.

By the way, GML, I'm playing in a scramble on Friday. Any advice on how to keep my head down on the ball (other than tying a string from my nose to my genitals)? :D :D :D

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Rich said:

ha!?#!very funny Rich-man:p

crooked sticks at that, some more than others depending on how well the round actually went!?$#?$!#:D

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
JoeCruse said:
Probably no more coaching than is needed to kick a much larger ball into a huge net :rolleyes: :D .

I appreciate GML's vantage point, but I still think there are more than a few golfers out there who are all about the money. I used to really like Fred Couples until I read an interview with him a few years ago. He was complaining (whining, really) about purses at events that he felt still lagged behind what is offered for other professional sports (baseball, basketball, american football especially, which are much more popular with more sponsor $$ because of the popularity). He felt golf money for the pros should be on par with the other popular sports, and he went on to say that he didn't think he could play in the time of Palmer and Nicklaus because the money was so much less back then, and he was amazed that they were able to carry on under those conditions.

I thought I was listening to a 22 year old NBA player when I saw those comments, not a pro golfer. Talk about out of touch with reality.

I do enjoy watching match play, and I really like the other scoring system you mentioned.

By the way, GML, I'm playing in a scramble on Friday. Any advice on how to keep my head down on the ball (other than tying a string from my nose to my genitals)? :D :D :D

Absolutely, there are the fair share of just plain and simple GREEDY suckers out there playing because the money is right and that's in part because of supply and demand and marketing of the player; Tiger demands...yes, demands, a one million appearance fee in many places around the world...why do you really think he skips our little tournament in Colorado...in the past it coincided with a couple tournaments in South Africa where he got that $1m just to show up and still does at different times of the year. Now he takes that week off to prepare for the upcoming major but still misses quite a few regular events because the appearance fees greatly outweigh playing in a PGA event that pays no appearance fee...sure smart business move you bet but greedy still...

It's not like he's going to fail to win enough money each year to keep his card!$?$?!?#

The NBA has definitely gotten to the point where money is far too important but with almost every player making monster money and then NOT performing, I've got a big problem with that as a FORMER fan...see, simple just don't support them and maybe the league will get the hint sooner or later!:D

JoeCruse said:

Try this quick process: If you can hit a few balls at the range before starting, don't start with your driver, ever...warm up your back and muscle memory with an 8-iron shot...a long enough swing to get a good feel for the ball but short enough to slowly wake yourself up for the day. Now, pick out a target for the distance for this club and DON'T concentrate on exactly where the ball goes but rather, the feel that you get from each shot to quickly develop a SOLID feel and CONFIDENCE to begin your round.

This is a key mistake I see most players make because they are immediately trying to nail their target instead of paying attention to the feel they have for the day and especially, when they start putting...that's when I make most of my lead versus someone like this because their feel for putting is destroyed right at the start! - In a scramble especially, you all need the best feel for your shots from putt #1!!!

Now, grab your SW or PW and do the same thing but concentrate more on accuracy because these are your scoring/money shots that will translate into tournament success during your tourney...

Now, you ask, "What the hell does all this have to do with my question about how to keep my head down?"...

Ahhh, ancient Chinese secret you see, I've just tricked you and your swing into performing at an INSTINCTIVE level instead of the traditional MECHANICAL level so now, your body will be ready to REACT to making good overall swings, including keeping your head down or whatever instead of being stuck on a mechanical issue, like this, preventing you to perform instinctively! TADA! - Yes, my bill will be in the mail to you shortly or you can just send me 20% of your winnings!?#?$?!:D

Becoming a better golfer has a lot more to do with mental approach and preparation than it ever does with how to hit a shot or how to prevent a patterned swing flaw...so, my teachings take full advantage of this to make the sport as easy as it can be made because for anyone who has really tried it, it is arguably, the hardest thing they've ever tried!!!

Have fun and let me know how you did! - Fairways and greens!!!

One last thing; when you guys are all putting for your best scramble score, one, don't let the closer players finish their putt out or technically, that's your score and it eliminates everyone elses chance to better your team score. Also, watch how the putt finishes in the last foot, especially on down hill putts so the next player can really take advantage of the read! And don't read putts from the opposite side of the hole...that just wastes time because none of our courses are in the kind of shape that would make any difference!?#?$!

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Foursome versus Four-ball

Brianwarnock said:
I can see that a foursome might need a slightly different mindset , but why does a four ball?

brian

Sure, Foursome being far more involved, especially before you even tee it up on #1, that's why Four-ball is all but dead but it still has plenty of merit!

There are VERY important aspects including, in a larger Four-ball event against many teams, the "xerox" factor comes into play, as I call it.

You seek a partner that for the most part hits all the same distances that you do so that you can trade that kind of info. during the event, especially coming in handy during rougher weather. Yes, in any format, you are allowed to ask your playing partner for advice but not from your opponents so take advantage of it! Rule #8.1...you can even ask your partner's caddy if he has better course knowledge as to breaks in greens, clubs to hit over hazards or whatever you need!

The biggest aspect of playing this format well is to try to position yourself on the green with as similiar putts as possible throughout the day, since you're playing your own ball. His read and stroke on a putt may very well give you the answers you need to score better, thus taking the lead over your competitors. I will purposely try to "xerox" the same shot, especially starting my round, to give us a better team feel and partnership over the other group to set the tone for the day, then, let lose and take chances on other approach shots to simply gain any advantage, especially on holes that suit you even better than your partner.

This is why our Ryder Cup team just can't pull it together because they are TOO used to playing alone and can't make this key adjustment!

In example, I have trouble drawing the ball off the tee so on all right to left hole designs, I'll more closely mimick the approach shot of my partner, trying to take advantage of our positions on the green but on the left to right holes, I blast away, taking full advantage of my power fade length and ATTACK the greens full force!

It's give and take so with my limitation, my partner accomodates me, play HIS game to the teeth and I need to catch up with him. On my type holes, the roles reverse. So much can be gained by adjusting each of our private one-on-one games to really suit this format and that what makes a winning team!

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
ANYONE INTERESTED:

I developed a new playing format/lesson that I used as a coach. It's geared for the bogey golfer and better (mid-handicapper) because you do have to have the ability to score reasonably otherwise it will drive you crazy!

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Lord Byron Nelson

"Byron Nelson, 1945 - The most famous year in golf history, and deservedly so: 18 total wins, 11 of them consecutively. Let's say that again - eighteen wins, including 11 in a row! And unbeknownst to many golf fans, Lord Byron actually won another tournament in that streak, which would have made the streak 12 straight and the win total 19. However, the rule in 1945 was that a tournament's total purse had to be at least $3,000; the purse in Nelson's "lost victory" was only $2,500, so it is not considered an "official" win.

The reason Nelson won so much in 1945 is that he was playing the best golf the PGA Tour has ever seen. Not only did he win 18 times, but he finished second seven more times (that's 25 times in the Top 2!). To top it off, Nelson won the only major championship played in 1945, the PGA Championship.

The year 1945 was the high point in a three-year stretch for Nelson in which he won 34 times and finished second 16 times. In that three-year stretch, Nelson finished out of the Top 10 exactly once."

…what else can be said…God Bless you Lord Byron Nelson! You are so loved! Fairway and Greens FOREVER!

Tiger is amazing. No doubt about that but this will simply never be truly challenged!

JoeCruse

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:44
GML,

thanks for the tip. You're right about leaving the driver alone for that, and I can see the wisdom in that.

This scramble is for work, so I don't think I'll be able to share bragging rights with ya, but I still thank you. My main problem is playing enough through the year to get consistant. I like to play, but work and other things seem to delay golf too much to develop a good, consistant swing.

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
JoeCruse said:
GML,

thanks for the tip. You're right about leaving the driver alone for that, and I can see the wisdom in that.

This scramble is for work, so I don't think I'll be able to share bragging rights with ya, but I still thank you. My main problem is playing enough through the year to get consistant. I like to play, but work and other things seem to delay golf too much to develop a good, consistant swing.

Gotta make time brother! - I understand. If I can help any more, just let me know!:cool:

R

Rich

GMLWORLDCHAMP! said:
ha!?#!very funny Rich-man:p

crooked sticks at that, some more than others depending on how well the round actually went!?$#?$!#:D
Ah you mean the round of drinks, is that needed before the game to keep one awake or after to further assist slumber through boredom?:confused:

GMLWORLDCHAMP!

GMLWorldChamp!
Local time
Good one...there you go, a heart beat, I think!#?!?$

Rich said:
Ah you mean the round of drinks, is that needed before the game to keep one awake or after to further assist slumber through boredom?:confused:

Obviously, you wouldn't begin to understand Rich so please, save it for your new website!#$!

As hard as I've tried to learn anything from you and a couple of others, it can't be done because you don't have what it takes...

I'm very fortunate to have the skillsets that I have, and in many arenas, and can and have put it against some of the VERY BEST in the world...I know you can make no such claim yourself and I'm not judging you on that but I am calling your "all in bluff" by comparing it to this:

I've competed and won a decent share of events over the course of my competitive thirty years against fellow professionals and as an amatuer in the sports of;
  • GOLF
  • TENNIS
  • BILLIARDS
  • DARTS
  • BOWLING
  • FOOTBALL
  • SOCCER and
  • VOLLEYBALL

My private golf lesson client's list (GML!) has included Denver Broncos stars, Colorado Avalanche stars, San Francisco 49er stars, Fortune 500 business leaders, and as always, anyone willing to learn this great sport!

So, sit down little man because the adults are speaking!?#?$!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom