Scanning barcodes to track items while using other database functions (1 Viewer)

Thicko

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:24
Hi Guys,

I can use barcode scanning to track items through the process, on the condition that the relevant field on a form is highlighted.

The issue is I want the scanning/tracking with wireless scanners to be going on in the background while an operator can use the other functions of the database.

I'm thinking the solution is two computers, one to run the barcode scanning & tracking the other for the rest of the database functions. The problem is we only have one work PC and getting money for a new PC will be like pulling teeth.

Is there a one PC solution?

Many thanks
Thicko

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:24
Although PCs can run multiple programs at the same time, they cannot interact with human input simultaneously. You would need to be running a server OS for that to happen. I'm not sure what kind of interaction the scanners need. Are they creating files on the scanner that will be uploaded later or are the scanners transmitting the data to the PC to create the file as they scan?

PCs are very fast so it looks like multiple programs are running at the same time but mostly what they do is timeslice so programs don't actually run simultaneously. They run for a couple of milliseconds (their slice) and the OS moves on to the next "running" program. Occasionally, a program will not relinquish control when its allotted timeslice ends and that is when your computer "freezes".

Last edited:

Thicko

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:24
Good to know that even with a two PC solution it might cause freezes.

Scanning the barcode is a product batch number that records the time of scan as the product moves through the manufacturing process, times at each step / scan are logged against the specific batch number.

If someone is entering new records I don't want the scanned barcodes popping up data in the boxes while somebody else is trying to put new batches on the database.

I'll look into the server option as it might be workable with our current set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom