Scanning QR code information in access database (1 Viewer)

Ihk

Local time
Today, 13:57
Hi,
I have a question about scanning QR code information in access, printed on product from company itself.
In my case QR code contains more piece of information than just barcode numbers.
For example, Some the products containing QR code have information like 1) Reference number, 2) GTIN, 3) Expiry date, 4) Batch Number.
This is information is in one QR code, directly from company. Though this is also written separately on product as well.
Can I scan this all information in one go, in access form?
If not,
Then I tried scanning a QR code with android app and it was all together like this " 010761333616661110 5286410217 22063024008828601190" was big number all together like this with out any space. Then I manually splitted these numbers into

0107613336166611 (GTIN)
10 (Dont know what is this)
52864102 (Batch Number)
17 (Dont know what is this)
220630 (Expiry date)
240 (dont know what is this)
08828601190 (Product Reference / catalogue)

What I want to store in database?

Along with Article name etc.. I also want to store Expiry date, Batch number, Reference number. Is it possible to extract it from QR code and directly it into form control automatically, rather writing every thing manually.
Different possible ideas are welcomed. Thank you.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:57
I gather from your question that you want to scan QR codes into MS Access.

I also gather that:-
The QR codes are random, in that you don't have any association with the producers of the QR codes.

You do not have any prior information as to the format of the data contained in the QR codes.

If that's the case, then you have a very difficult problem.

QR codes differ from barcodes in that they can contain numerous items of data. If you are not privy to the format of this data in advance, and particularly as you are scanning barcodes from different sources, with different formats, then your chances of being able to extract the data in a consistent way is very limited.

Your best option is to contact the supplier, find out if they can provide you with a simple barcode and a data table containing the other information you require.

Other than that you are into writing some very complicated VBA, that is assuming you can extract the information from the barcode in the first place!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:57
I’m playing around with code for access to generate a qr code (still a wip) but not looked at scanning a qr code since these come from a camera rather than a scanner.

if you are aware of a qr scanner I would be interested in knowing more.

I disagree with Unc - qr codes have a very rigid basis for storing data so any qr app should be able to interpret any qr code. The rider being that some apps are limited to how much they can read. Dotted around the code are certain preordained ‘location points’ which defines how much data the code contains

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom