Scripting something to control other programs (1 Viewer)

buratti

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:51
I realize that this question may be out of the scope of these forums but I'll try anyway. Is there anyway to write something, rather in VBA or something else that can be ran from within Access, that can control another software title. For a simple example... My Access database connects to my Quickbooks file using the QODBC driver. I want to, just for an example, have a button on my Access form that opens Quickbooks (well Quickbooks would already be opened, so I guess just set focus to the Quickbooks window), and also open a window within Quickbooks, for example the receive payments window.

I can understand a lot of VBA but thats about the limit of my programing/scripting knowledge. I thought of a way, but wouldn't know how to impliment it. It would be to somehow write something to simulate a sequence of keystrokes. Hence figure the keystrokes/commands to open QB, load a certain window (ctrl-f or whatever it would be), tab x times to a certain field, then ctrl-v to paste a precopied value, etc...

1. is this at all possible?
2. does anyone here know how to do it?
3. If not can someone point me in the direction I figure out how to?

Thanks for yout suggestions

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:51
Just keystrokes wouldn't cut it. You need to set an object to an instance of the Quickbooks object, but that can only be done if Quickbooks exposes its library.

If it does, then you can use GetObject or SetObject.

buratti

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:51
How would I know if QB exposes its library or not?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:51
Look on their website and check whether they have a reference or library manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom