search by keyword (1 Viewer)

mohamedmatter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:08
Good evening to all members
I Attached is a simple database
The target form "SearchFrm"
I want to search in three fields when writing a letter. Note I do not want to use a search button. I tried to use the vba code under the search button. but i failed

Attachments

• EmpTest.accdb
    704 KB · Views: 58

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:08
Why isn't the ID field an autonumber?

What does 'failed' mean - error message, wrong result, nothing happens?

I prefer to set form Filter and FilterOn properties. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:08
if your trying to do "Search as you type" I believe you need to use the .text property and not the default .value.

try
Code:
Private Sub Stxt_Change()

Dim SQL As String

SQL = "SELECT Emptbl.ID, Emptbl.[Emp-No], Emptbl.[National-Id], Emptbl.FullName " _
          & "FROM Emptbl " _
          & "WHERE [Emp-No]LIKE '*" & Me.Stxt.Text & "*' " _
          & "OR [FullName]LIKE '*" & Me.Stxt.Text & "*' " _
          & "OR [National-Id]LIKE '*" & Me.Stxt.Text & "*' " _
          & "ORDER BY Emptbl.ID "

Me.SEmpList.Form.RecordSource = SQL

Me.SEmpList.Form.Requery

End Sub

bsacheri

Local time
Today, 05:08
If you are still looking for a solution, I have contributed to a VBA Class that can be attached to any combo box and provide find-as-you-type capabilities. This is something that I had looked for for years so I feel I should share it on this site since this is a recent inquiry.

Some features of this class:
  • It's fast. It keeps the list in memory and doesn't requery the database with each keystroke. I have used this class with a combobox containing over 12,000 records
  • It lets you search multiple columns. For example, First Name and Last Name can be in separate columns and the list will be reduced to show a match in either column.
  • It's a class. It can be attached to existing combo boxes without adding any event handler code behind existing combo boxes.
  • Converting an existing combo box is as easy as adding 2 lines of code! (after adding the class module)
  • It automatically cleans up after itself when the form closes.

It can be intimidating if you haven't used a class before but it is not that hard. It comes down to a few steps.
  • Add the class module to your VBA project.
  • Declare a class variable at the top of your form code module.
  • Add a line of code in Form_Load() to initialize the class variable and bind it to an existing combo box.
  • Viola! Your combo box now has find-as-you-type behavior.

I created a downloadable demo database so you can see the class in action.

Ugh! I'm too new to this forum to be able to post links to the code and sample database. :banghead:

If you go to tek-tips.com and search for "Find as you type combobox class that allows requery" you may find the Class source code. The message may be continued into multiple threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom