Searching on two fields from a register (1 Viewer)

biofaku

Local time
Yesterday, 20:22
Hi, I have a Table that has two fields that can contain similar data. Let's call them "Name 1" and "Name 2".
I was thinking on making a Query that search for a name on either of those two fields, but I can't make it work.

The closest I came to achieving this was using this expression

Expr1: IFF([tbl_names_1].[Name 1]= "John";[tbl_names].[Name 1];SiInm([tbl_names_2].[Name 2]="John";[tbl_names_2].[Name 2]))
And on the criteria part I had to write "John" too, to filter all the registers that had "John" on either Name 1 or Name 2.

But that is really messy and also doesn't work if I want to search for names on that query from a Form.

Any idea on how can I achieve this?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:22
Hi. Having two fields containing the same data (and named Name1 and Name2) sounds suspiciously non-normalized.

In any case, you could try using a WHERE clause like:
Code:
WHERE Name1="John" OR Name2="John"

biofaku

Local time
Oh, yes, I know its seems non-normalized, but I made it that way because those fields are reserved for people that are leading a project and at the moment. The thing is that some times the same name can appear on field 1 or others on field 2, I was looking for a way to see every register that has one or another on only one query field. I came to this solution.

I created a function that is named "Criteria", and takes the value of a combobox. Then when a I call that function from a query, it shows what I was looking for. I think is a nice patch.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Oh, yes, I know its seems non-normalized, but I made it that way because those fields are reserved for people that are leading a project and at the moment. The thing is that some times the same name can appear on field 1 or others on field 2, I was looking for a way to see every register that has one or another on only one query field. I came to this solution.

I created a function that is named "Criteria", and takes the value of a combobox. Then when a I call that function from a query, it shows what I was looking for. I think is a nice patch.
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

biofaku

Local time
Lately I came for you looking for help and then even before you post something an idea comes to my head that mostly solves a problem that has been bugging me for hours. This forum is magical.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Lately I came for you looking for help and then even before you post something an idea comes to my head that mostly solves a problem that has been bugging me for hours. This forum is magical.
That just means you're getting better. Pretty soon, you'll be the one answering questions. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom