Searching through related tables (1 Viewer)

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:33
I have created a form that searches through a table, following the instructions of John Big Booty, as can be seen here: https://access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=188663. The search form has a list box that has a query run whenever a text box is changed which allows me to search fields in 1 table but how do I adjust it to allow me to find related records stored in a second table, for instance, towns that people live in are stored in another table. The query has the following code in the criteria for each field you want to search Like "*" & [forms]![FRM_SearchMulti]![SrchText] & "*".

The database stores widow information and they are looked after by legatees. The search form is called FRM_SearchMulti and it searches through the widow table as I type but I want return widows that match a legatee that might be typed in the search box. I seem to have hit a road block and everything I try doesn’t seem to work.

I have uploaded the db but have had to delete most of the information due to privacy issues so could you describe how to add so I can search by the legatee?

I am also having a mental blank and can’t remember how to add extra fields into the search box, so more things will display in the results window. As you can see, I have the extra columns but I can’t seem to remember how to add the contents of those extra columns into the search results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• OrangeLegacyWidows to upload3.zip
    120.9 KB · Views: 193

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:33
I think I just remembered how to add in extra columns, add the field into QRY_SearchAll and then add the field into the row source of the list box but this only worked for the divisions field, it didn't work for the legatee field. Maybe as it is not directly linked to the widow table?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom