secure the database & query design (1 Viewer)

Jimal

Local time
Today, 07:47
Hello savior over there

I have done a project and with our forums lots of support I was able to complete it

But now I have a challenge before me- how to protect the project so that its source programming/query designs could not be revealed to others.

As simple I would like to LOCK my backend design - appreciate if you can put in some of your thoughts..

Thanks in advance

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:17
There are lots of things you can do to make it difficult to get your code but Access is not a secure environment. There are lots of posts here that talk about the steps to secure a database.

Are you trying to protect the app from malicious users? Accidental modification of objects? Stolen intellectual property?

Jimal

Local time
Today, 07:47
yes @Pat Hartman

I agree with you. at the same time I don't want my 1 year hardwork exploited easily.... you can relate my concern with a kind of "Stolen intellectual property"

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:17
so you are not concerned about securing your data?

to protect code, forms and reports, create a .accde

to protect queries, more difficult. Probably the best way is to not have them as separate objects, Instead store the sql in your code and execute/openrecordset as required and/or store the sql in the form/report recordsource.

Note this is only a base level security - someone who knows what they are doing can still find ways of finding out your sql and there are sites out there who claim to be able to reverse engineer a .accde

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 03:17
Although as already noted, you can never make an Access application totally secure, there are several things you can do to make it as secure as possible.
See my two part article: Improve security in Access databases.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:17
yes @Pat Hartman

I agree with you. at the same time I don't want my 1 year hardwork exploited easily.... you can relate my concern with a kind of "Stolen intellectual property"
Hi. Unfortunately, you are using a platform that wasn't intended to be totally secured. So, although there are plenty of ways to try and secure your work, none of them is totally fool proof. Good luck!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:17
You never answered who you were trying to secure the application from. Is this something that you are selling? If you are creating the app for your employer, your employer owns the intellectual property, NOT you. If you are a consultant, who owns the work product should have been specified in your employment contract.

Most applications simply need to be secure enough to keep fat fingered users from breaking something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom