Sequential numbering (1 Viewer)

Wozza

Local time
Today, 14:24
Hi,

I am trying to create a unique case study reference number based on project ID and then a number. So far I have created a query which gives me the number, however, I can't then update the generated number into my table (I know it has something to do with the query not being updateable). I would also like this case study reference to be generated when a new case study record is entered in a form.
Figure 1 - the query to generate the CS-ref.
1605545519038.png

2. The generated Case study reference number generated from the query
1605545553147.png

3. The Case study table - I would like the CS_ref created above to go in the CS_ref field in this table.

1605545614276.png

My VB coding is limited but I feel coding maybe the better way to go? Any help would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks
Sue

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:24
Hi Sue. Couldn't you just use a query to show the sequential numbers rather than store them in the table? Just curious...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it may be my monitor, but can only read the second image (and number is a reserved word and should not be used as a field name)

Also not clear if this is numeric or text. Right justified implies number, the preceding zeros implies text.

suggest investigate using what is commonly called dmax+1

Wozza

Local time
Hi Sue. Couldn't you just use a query to show the sequential numbers rather than store them in the table? Just curious...
Hi, the table is used in other databases so ideally would like the numbers stored in the table, but totally get your point.

Wozza

Local time
it may be my monitor, but can only read the second image (and number is a reserved word and should not be used as a field name)

Also not clear if this is numeric or text. Right justified implies number, the preceding zeros implies text.

suggest investigate using what is commonly called dmax+1
OK, thanks, I will have a look at DMAX + 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom