Solved Set field value when depending on value of yes/no field (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:47
Personally I think I would go with the combos and possible a textbox if the user knows the company code for a certain lamp.?
The combination of the combos would also identify the company code for the relevant lamp.?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:47
That is what I have been thinking about doing. Rather than a yes/no field just do an unbound checkbox that if set to true, sets the value of LampType field to LED.
If LED is "special," you might consider just setting it as a Default Value for your Textbox, if that field is required.

tmyers

Local time
Today, 03:47
If LED is "special," you might consider just setting it as a Default Value for your Textbox, if that field is required.
That could also work, as that would be the normal value more than not.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:47
That could also work, as that would be the normal value more than not.
I just think using the Default Value is less complicated. Just my 2 cents...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Couldn't use a combo for this one. There are hundreds of possible types. Different lamp bases, wattages, kelvin ratings etc.
I have several LED bulbs in my cabinet. They have different wattages, bases, kelvin ratings. So your statement doesn't make sense.

LED, Incandescent, fluorescent, etc is one attribute
Wattage is a different attribute
Kelvin rating is a third attribute
base is a fourth attribute.
Color is a fifth attribute. - Daylight, Soft white, yellow, etc

Type should just be the type of light. There shouldn't be hundreds of options

tmyers

Local time
I have several LED bulbs in my cabinet. They have different wattages, bases, kelvin ratings. So your statement doesn't make sense.

LED, Incandescent, fluorescent, etc is one attribute
Wattage is a different attribute
Kelvin rating is a third attribute
base is a fourth attribute.
Color is a fifth attribute. - Daylight, Soft white, yellow, etc

Type should just be the type of light. There shouldn't be hundreds of options
You would be surprised lol.
We tend to put full part numbers in, so one type of lamp could have quite a few variations.
An example would be a typical LED lamp for your home. Its an A19 base, typically 14 watts. But you could have:
A19 9 watts, 6 watt, 12 watt, 16 watt and a couple others. That with each one having around 6 kelvin ratings following by the brands series such as super long life, eco friendly, dimmable/non dimmable etc.

Edit:
I see what you're saying. Just chose the most basic attributes and use the combos in that sense. I doubt the boss would want it to be that generic though since he prefers specific part numbers so our project managers know exactly what to order. That and some jobs want very specific looking lamps which makes life even more difficult.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:47
By selecting various attributes of a lamp, you would get to a specific product code?

I doubt that they can tell the difference between a 927105 and a 827105 ? :)

tmyers

Local time
By selecting various attributes of a lamp, you would get to a specific product code?

I doubt that they can tell the difference between a 927105 and a 827105 ? :)
I wish manufactures used that high level of common sense in their part numbers :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The product file would have the five attributes I listed or more. Each combo filters the next one which reduces the options. Eventually you get to a very short list of part numbers that have all the attributes you are looking for. It has nothing to do with how a partnumber is constructed. The number could be 12344556633 and the combo solution still works like a champ. In fact, it will reduce errors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom