Setting Up Apache Server ..... (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:36
Ok

I am trying to use MySQL with web-sites, but cannot get started.

I need to configure apache/php/mysql etc to all work together.

I have a load of books telling me how to write code etc, but I can't get over this hurdle.

I thought I could set up a "pretend" web-site on my PC, and connect to it, from a browesr, again on my PC to test stuff.

Anyone help. Happy to pay for some guidance.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 10:36
Whats the issue? Is it configuring Apache to run on your PC or connecting to the database?

I can help with php/MySQL programming, but configuring Apache isn't something I know about. I run a few sites using php/MySQL and it costs about $6 a month and I don't have to worry about configuring stuff. I'm sure if you want to just play around you could find some free hosting.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 11:36
I believe there exists preconfigured virtual machine images of a LAMP stack.

I would suggest you be consistent with OS platform... what ever your target OS will be, develop on that. So if LAMP, then LAMP... if WAMP then WAMP.

I would suggest seeing if you can use one of the preconfigured software stacks and ease into web development that way.

I specifically do NOT write LAMP applications, but am knowledgeable about the LAMP stack care and feeding. Such as automating MySQL backups - both MyISAM and InnoDB formats - via Bash script automation. And MySQL security configurations... and and and... that is plenty, and all the rest I leave to package developers... Drupal / CiviCRM / WordPress / etc...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
thanks both

the issue is not knowing exactly where to start

I want to be able to play with developing some php/html to link a webpage to a MySQL database, and produce some results.

So then I can use my IE9 or whatever to view and interact with the webpages

Buit I don't know where to start setting it up, so i have

- an active domain
- an active link to a database

and the ability to create and use webpages in the domain.

I thought I might be able to set it all up on a local PC - but maybe I have the wrong end of a stick.

mdlueck

Local time
I want to be able to play with developing some php/html to link a webpage to a MySQL database, and produce some results

Surly there is enough tutorials about doing such, no?

But comparable for getting Access Client/Server architecture set up and developed... likewise starting from scratch to build LAMP applications will either have you busy coding from scratch all of the time, or moving some common code into architecture. Perhaps review available architectures / frameworks and see if you could gain some leverage.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
thanks again michael

finally got it sorted. i found some tutorials that took my through it slowly - so now i can write php, and my browser displays it. Just Hello world at the moment of course. And the c-like syntax isn;t second nature, either.

everything is a big learning curve, but gotta start somewhere. i am starting to get a feel for the type of tools i need, as you suggest.

Thanks

mdlueck

Local time
I hear you about languages. I am also very fond of the Object Rexx (ooRexx) language. Fairly different rules between the two languages. (ooRexx vs VBA). Then I was thinking to build applications with Lazarus (Free Pascal) in place of Access/VBA which that has the equiv of C header files mixed into the Pascal source code files. Yuck! But yes, languages which require semicolon terminated LOCs... If you wanted it so bad, add it for me!

I suppose, It's all good. :cool:

I am glad you have lift-off!

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
look for httpd.conf, that your configuration file for the web server, its plain text and its got quite good comments in it to guide you.

Might be an idea to set it to localhost until you get it up and running.

also, get the MyPHP package, that will make configuration of MySQL and php so much easier than manual config (although MyPHP can be a pain to set up also)

I had an app some time back that basically configured all 3 components through a GUI, quick and easy, I'll see if I can find that package and post it

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
found it

http://www.appservnetwork.com/

AppServ is.
AppServ is a full-featured of Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin. You can setup in 1 minite.
Package of AppServ
- Apache
- PHP
- MySQL
- phpMyAdmin
All packages download from Official Binary Release. AppServ objective just make easy to setup. We do not provide anything else more than Official Binary Release package. Becuase we think the Official Binary Release work better than compile by individual or third-party binary.
AppServ have only special configuration when install, Apache configure httpd.conf, MySQL configure my.ini, PHP configure php.ini. AppServ can guaranty any package from AppServ can work stable like Official of Apache, PHP, MySQL Release.
Objective of AppServ Just Easy to install. You can setup web server, database server in 1 minute.For some question AppServ can be Real Production Web Server or Database Server. We can tell you Yes !! 100% can make AppServ to provide Production Server. But Windows OS is not good enough for heavy load on you web or database server.Windows OS architecture use more memory and CPU usage we recommend you to use Linux/Unix OS to service heavy load of work. Because Linux/Unix OS have more speed and use less memory and CPU usage. If you compare hit when use Windows OS and Linux/Unix OS you must be found a very difference speed. e.g. Windows can handle 1000 users per second but Linux/Unix OS can handle more than 1000 users per second and eat a little memory and cpu.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i had it working - then it stopped, i think because i installed MS IIS

in trying to get it working again, i think i screwed all my file permisisons, so now I am getting 403 errors. :)

mdlueck

Local time
then it stopped, i think because i installed MS IIS

You would need to either:
1) Adjust the port one of the web servers listens on to have them both running at the same time or
2) Run only one at a time

You can not have two web servers both listening to port 80 at the same time.

rodmc

Registered User.
Local time
You would need to either:
1) Adjust the port one of the web servers listens on to have them both running at the same time or
2) Run only one at a time

You can not have two web servers both listening to port 80 at the same time.

unless of course you have 2 NICs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom