Solved Shared Database Table not seen by other users (1 Viewer)

ArmTiger

Local time
Today, 04:09
We went from Microsoft Office 2010 to Microsoft Office 2019. Users have a network shared folder that contains their database files. One user added a new table to the database and the other users are unable to see the table when they open the same database. None of them have the "Exclusive Mode". They have shared mode selected as the default under the client settings. Since we have made such a huge jump from 2010 to 2019, I am not sure if there is another setting that I am unaware of that is preventing the other users from seeing the updated table information. We did not have any issues until we installed the new Office 2019 software on to a new Windows 10 computer.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:09
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Are we talking about a split database or not?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Not a split database. Just one database.
In that case, my first advice is to split it. My second question is why do you allow regular users to add tables?

Just trying to understand your situation...

ArmTiger

Local time
In that case, my first advice is to split it. My second question is why do you allow regular users to add tables?

Just trying to understand your situation...
It's is a K-12 Bus Garage where they enter their bus routes for students. All three of the users have the same access since they are always working with the bus routes. So if they need to add a new table with the next school year's bus routes, they can do so. We will try splitting it and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So if they need to add a new table with the next school year's bus routes, they can do so.
I see. But, I might recommend a better approach than that. You can simply add a SchoolYear field to the table, so they don't have to create new tables every year. You can use a query to filter the table by this field, so they only see the current school year's routes.

ArmTiger

Local time
I see. But, I might recommend a better approach than that. You can simply add a SchoolYear field to the table, so they don't have to create new tables every year. You can use a query to filter the table by this field, so they only see the current school year's routes.
Well, after playing around with this more, I ended up saving the database as a lower version. Apparently, Microsoft added security to the 2019 version and there is no way to adjust those settings that I could find. Once I saved it as a lower version, the other users could see the new table that was created. Very frustrating when things get changed on new versions that prevent you from using the program as you had previously.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Well, after playing around with this more, I ended up saving the database as a lower version. Apparently, Microsoft added security to the 2019 version and there is no way to adjust those settings that I could find. Once I saved it as a lower version, the other users could see the new table that was created. Very frustrating when things get changed on new versions that prevent you from using the program as you had previously.
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out, but I would still highly suggest considering everything I said earlier. Good luck with your project.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
ArmTiger,
Please take theDBguy's advice to split the database and STOP sharing the FE. Each user should have his own copy of the FE. We can offer advice on how to do this. It is pretty trivial. Then the rest of the advice is to STOP creating new tables for each year for each route. You might as well be using Excel. Access is NOT a spreadsheet. You will get much more out of it if you use it as a relational database. If you don't want to learn how to do that, you are better off just sticking with Excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom