SharePoint (1 Viewer)

SzymonK

Local time
Today, 08:35
Hi Members!
I have a question about SharePoint. I want to publish a database for various users. If I publish the database, will one of the users be able to: save it on his desktop, make changes in the form so that they are only useful for him and do not affect others?
Example: change the default city name.
And save it in ACCDE format.
Szymon

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:35
To answer your question: Yes. The Front End (FE) of ANY database, no matter the platform of the Back End (BE), is 100% customizable to a specific machine of a user.

Just keep in mind, when you "push" an update, the changes will get overwritten unless you have accounted for it.

SzymonK

Local time
To answer your question: Yes. The Front End (FE) of ANY database, no matter the platform of the Back End (BE), is 100% customizable to a specific machine of a user.

Just keep in mind, when you "push" an update, the changes will get overwritten unless you have accounted for it.
Thank You NauticalGent

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:35
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

That is true even without using SharePoint. If you put the master frontend on a network share, each user is supposed to download their own copy to their Desktop. Unless you gave them an ACCDE file, they will be able to make design changes to their copy of the FE. What you cannot do with SharePoint is publish the database there and expect all users to use the same file in SharePoint without downloading it.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:35
Hi Members!
I have a question about SharePoint. I want to publish a database for various users. If I publish the database, will one of the users be able to: save it on his desktop, make changes in the form so that they are only useful for him and do not affect others?
Example: change the default city name.
And save it in ACCDE format.
Szymon
What does it mean to say "publish" a database? I hope you do not mean what theDBGuy warns against. I hope you don't plan to let multiple users try to share a single accdb which is stored in a SharePoint location. That is a non-starter. SharePoint is not like a LAN and can't be used in the same way. It would be possible to distribute the Front End accdb to various users by placing a master copy in a SharePoint location for people to download and use on their own computer. The Back End data, however, can't be shared that way, not safely anyway.

But rather than go on about that aspect, we ought to get the full context here.

Is this Access relational database application split into a Front End with interface objects and a Back End with the tables? If not, that is actually the first step needed. Each user SHOULD get a copy of the Front End (with forms, reports, queries and VBA) on their own computer. Everyone shares the data because it's in a single accdb Back End. But that Back End should NOT be deployed to SharePoint to be used.

SzymonK

Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

That is true even without using SharePoint. If you put the master frontend on a network share, each user is supposed to download their own copy to their Desktop. Unless you gave them an ACCDE file, they will be able to make design changes to their copy of the FE. What you cannot do with SharePoint is publish the database there and expect all users to use the same file in SharePoint without downloading it.
Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom