Solved Should each forum have a sticky called <section> Essentials? e.g. VBA Essentials (1 Viewer)

Should each forum have a sticky called <section> Essentials? e.g. VBA Essentials

• Yes, I absolutely love the idea!

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No thanks, are you kidding me?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • These polls are getting boring - I abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:27
You guys know I am not a fan of stickies, or at least too many of them. How about each Access related forum has a sticky called <section> Essentials? e.g. Form Essentials, Report Essentials, VBA Essentials? These stickies can then contain text explanations and also links to other posts that are considered important. Call it an index of Essentials if you like.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 00:27
That would be better. There are some very good FAQs that people have written, but you have to know what you are looking for or spend a lot of time going through them. This would give much more organization. So in the Forms sticky you could then organize the links into sections
Combobox Usage
Listbox Usage
Window and Control positioning
Etc.

Reactions: Jon

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
As tempting as it was to go with option 3, I went with 1.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@MajP, that was exactly what I was thinking. It would provide great value if a forum user could have a single thread to refer to, nicely laid out.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
I liked how Tek-Tips had there FAQs and this could be done. Much easier to navigate. However, I recommend that there is some way the moderators get together and have a way to review what is posted and reorganize. Some of the FAQs become OBE, no longer relevant, replaced by a more useful and accurate posts, etc.

TekTips.jpg

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Maybe an idea is to have a thread in Site Suggestions, one for each forum. e.g. VBA Essentials suggestions. Then, people can put ideas in there for what they think should be included in the sticky. The mods can review and add what they think is relevant.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The votes are in. Done!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Following much consultation with myself, I have got my machete to the sticky threads in the Access area. I have consolidated everything down into a single sticky per forum. Less is more. I will get hacking at the other forums at a later date.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I am done with the pruning of stickies. Let's leave them be for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom