Solved Slow Search on Subform (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:29
That sounds as if you have locked all the controls on the form, not just specific ones?

If it worked fine before I would fix the original problem. Have a search on here for locking certain fields. Look for posts involving the tag property.

DatabaseTash

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:29
That sounds as if you have locked all the controls on the form, not just specific ones?

If it worked fine before I would fix the original problem. Have a search on here for locking certain fields. Look for posts involving the tag property.
Thanks, I did try the tag property method and a few others and had many problems. Guess I will have to have to just settle for a slow search for the time being.

Thanks for your help

DatabaseTash

Registered User.
Local time
🥳🥳🥳
Just wanted to let you know I worked out the issue! :D

I did a compact and repair on the backend and it searches SO fast now! The backend file went from 211,284kb to 7,668kb.

Thanks for all the input guys!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
Glad you got it sorted out.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:29
come to this late but if your users typically search for the numbers, then assuming they know the first few, in your table split the text and numbers into two fields, both indexed. If they know the first few numbers, you can avoid using the initial * and therefore make use of the indexing. I don't include the initial * in my apps, but train users to include an initial * if they need to (or provide a 'begins with/ends with/contains option box).

Many of of those I've trained become interested in what else they can do with wildcards so I provide a short training session explaining the other wild cards and how you can use them.

DatabaseTash

Registered User.
Local time
come to this late but if your users typically search for the numbers, then assuming they know the first few, in your table split the text and numbers into two fields, both indexed. If they know the first few numbers, you can avoid using the initial * and therefore make use of the indexing. I don't include the initial * in my apps, but train users to include an initial * if they need to (or provide a 'begins with/ends with/contains option box).

Many of of those I've trained become interested in what else they can do with wildcards so I provide a short training session explaining the other wild cards and how you can use them.
Thanks CJ London. Seems to be working well so will leave it alone while it is working. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom