Solar panel power up! (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:52
Interesting article this, on solar panels. A few years away yet but it looks like they will get a bump in power due to a clever technique, turning unavailable wavelengths into available wavelengths.

It occurred to me from reading the article that the new layer, which gives the solar panel a boost could actually be added to existing solar panels quite easily I reckon!

But it's early days yet watch this space!

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:52
Solar panels in the UK...that should be interesting!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:52
Should be interesting to see if the technology is feasible and reasonable cheap. And of course is it durable enough to keep working year after year in the elements.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Here in central California, we are getting way too much sunshine. Especaily this time of year when we should be getting more rain. We are getting a fair amount of morning fog though.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Here in central California, we are getting way too much sunshine. Especaily this time of year when we should be getting more rain. We are getting a fair amount of morning fog though.
That's a plus for those living there.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I've read that too much sun overheats solar panels, overcast or cloudy days are better because the light bans solar needs are still getting through.

The industry needs to figure out how to deal with the millions of new batteries it's producing and their impact on the environment specifically the lead. Otherwise, we are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:52
I've read that too much sun overheats solar panels
There is a phenonemon called temperature degredation. Output drops by about 0.2% per degree Fahrenheit -that's the panel temperature, not ambient temperature.
overcast or cloudy days are better
Output is dependent on the amount of light, not necessarily sunlight. I get more output in full sunlight.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
How long before you see a ROI?
How long before you see a ROI? Well from what I've read it's about 7 years... I haven't got solar panels myself, but I am giving it serious consideration because here in the UK at least they are hiking gas and electric prices. The only thing stopping me installing solar panels on the Roof is I'm not sure my roofs up to it, I need that sorted out first!

The other issue is that the money you get for feeding your electricity back into the grid isn't guaranteed, and as per most governments, it can change on a political whim...
I've been thinking of alternatives? What can I do with all this free Electricity? Can I generate an income from it, over and above the feed-in tariff? That's got to be worth looking at...

Could I run a smelting unit and smelt aluminium or should I say aluminum ...

I saw an auction the other day for a micro brewery company in Pewsey not far from me:-

I wondered, that must take quite a bit of electricity to boil up the the mash for the beer, that would be a good investment buy the micro brewery and run it from my solar panels! Then I wondered, if I had a small lorry with a couple of Tesla batteries on it, I could drive around and fill people's cars up with the electricity. I think it costs about £28 Sterling to charge a Tesla, but I've no idea how long it would take. In other words, I don't want to be stood in the street filling up a Tesla for an hour just to make 20 quid or so.... I suppose I could get an electric milk float and start an early morning round delivering milk to the doorstep...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
You are all over the place there Tony, but at least you have options!

7 years...I reckon that isn't too bad. My step dad in South Carolina has had them for over a decade and to hear him tell it, the power company is paying HIM...

He had been know to embellish a little so I wanted a 2nd opinion. I'll might look into it one day when all my other schemes have run their course.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It depends where you are:-

Extract:-
Average solar panel payback period for homes in the US in 2022
Most homeowners in the United States can expect their solar panels to pay for themselves in between 9 and 12 years, depending on the state they live in.

Some states, like Hawaii and Massachusetts offer solar payback periods as short as five years, while payback time in states like Louisiana and North Dakota can stretch to 16 years or more.

I doubt it 7 years in the UK more like 12 I reckon

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I converted my VW TDI to run on Waste Veggie Oil (WVO). I calculated that it would take 2 years for a ROI. There were intangibles that I was unaware of and other things I did not take into account. 4 years later and the injector pump gave out and I had barely broke even...

Granted, there are a lot more moving parts in a car than a house, but I guess the point I'm making is nothing ever goes as planned - not for me anyway!

Still intrigued...definitely keep us informed on how you get on!

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
From that, I take it you use solar panels...is it worth it? How long before you see a ROI?
I got a small inheritance from a not so close relative and decided to go solar - panels and battery. Return from panels ~ 7 years but battery was more marginal. I bought a Tesla Model 3 last year and so far have not paid out of pocket for any fuel/energy for it having travelled over 5000 miles so far. Well, there is the foregone feed in tariff on the power used in the car which is about 1/3 of my usual cost of electricity so there is some cost.

WARNING don't rent a Tesla for the weekend as I did, otherwise you run the risk of getting hooked on the car.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
You are all over the place there Tony, but at least you have options!

Yes! I know!

Another thing people do is use cheap electric to mine bitcoin. I looked at that as well. But the demand for the equipment along with the global shortages has bumped the prices up on that too. And something I didn't realise, the high usage of the the chips wears them out! You would never think that would be an issue. You could end up with worn-out micro chips worth nothing, no second-hand value. The other thing is it's problematic buying second-hand chips because you might be buying something that's knackered!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Solar Panel degradation - means they will lose a % of efficiency over their life - which is 25-30 years.
I investigated this in earnest last year.

On the then-current electricity prices then it was about 7-8 years for the SP's for ROI, based on our daytime electricity use, which is quite high.
Batteries are a bit of a moot point as their cost is still coming down rapidly while the capacity is going up, so buy a system that can accommodate a battery but wait a while before buying it.

Based on the potential new electricity costs, I reckon the ROI could come down to 5-6 years for us, on a 14Kw system.
We have four adults in the house with two working from home most of the time. You can also get a diverter system to use the solar to heat your water during the day, saving on expensive gas water heating. This is because the feed-in tariff from the Elec Co's is less than the cost of the used electricity so use it yourself or store it.

I'll need to get my spreadsheet out again...

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
WARNING don't rent a Tesla for the weekend as I did, otherwise you run the risk of getting hooked on the car.
I was like that when I rode a hundred metres on an electric bike. I knew I had to get off it or I would have to have one.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Too late, I'm already hooked and I have never even touched one...yet. I was waiting a few years to see how the consumers felt after they have had them for a few years. This guy's YouTube channel has some great info. My wife's VW Beetle will be paid off is 2023, if my research still has the T3 as a good investment, I'll be taking the plunge...

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
the power company is paying HIM...
Depends a lot on the feed-in tariff you get. With a more recent panel installation, my feed-in is about 25% of peak charge and I get a refund in summer months ie solar generation covers more than any power used plus fixed daily charges. Not so in winter with lower generation and higher usage.
I'll be taking the plunge...
I would wager you will have one regret after getting an EV - that you did not do it sooner. There's other savings on top of gas. Scheduled maintenance is every 24 months. No plugs, oil, filters (except air) to be replaced and I expect brake pads to last the life of the car given regenerative braking - only when hard deceleration is required do brakes need to be applied.

Uncle asked about time to charge. Depends mainly on power rating of charger. Ordinary 240v GPO (2.4 kW) gives about 10 miles of charge per hour. With a special home charger (costing ~$700-$1000 plus electrician to install) and 3 phase, that can be increased to up to 22kW or almost 100 miles per hour. Super chargers supplying 480v DC can charge up to 200 miles in 15 minutes. However the charging rate is not linear as the distance charges slows down as the battery approaches full charge. Conventional wisdom is to aim for about 80% full charge.

We visit the wife's parents 450 miles away a few times a year. I have done the trip with only one charging stop but prefer now to make 2 stops of 15-20 minutes each which are lined up with meal/bathroom/stretch leg breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom