Solid State Hard Drive (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 16:07
This is my first computer with a solid State hard drive. (HP Corei5, Win 10 home) Is is normal for it to hesitate for a 10th of a second, screen to go black and come back normal, or should I suspect something else. Happens mostly when typing something in Word.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:07
Sounds odd. Your computer should work as normal, just faster.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:07
Getting an SSD is one of the best decisions you can make. I have my boot drive as an external SSD on my iMac. I got this iMac in late 2012 and with the SSD drive, it zips along nicely. Before that, I had a fusion drive, which is a hybrid drive combining both mechanical and SSD drives. However, looking at some hard drive reporting data, it showed the drive was on its way out, hence the external SSD drive.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Getting an SSD is one of the best decisions you can make. I have my boot drive as an external SSD on my iMac. I got this iMac in late 2012 and with the SSD drive, it zips along nicely. Before that, I had a fusion drive, which is a hybrid drive combining both mechanical and SSD drives. However, looking at some hard drive reporting data, it showed the drive was on its way out, hence the external SSD drive.
This is about my 15th computer in 25 years. I went thru 3 desktops in 1 1/2 years before I realize they just were not compatible with my RV. One lap top I busted when my wife left her pen on the keyboard and I came along and closed the cover and cracked the screen. Another one was on the desk in the RV and during hurricane katrina and water came into RV thru TV antenna opening. First one with SSD, however.

As most people I have a Hate/Love affair with computers. Right now, my big hate afar is my Access calendar won't work on this computer, and nobody on AWF and other places can fix it. Pat H made a suggestion that remove 64 bit and install 32 bit but that’s outside my expertise. I will see someone in about a week that can do it for me. I have 25 years of planning and its a chore opening up one of my back up computers

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I have a broken window in my house. I just threw my new HP with the “NEW” solid state hard drive out the window, without opening it. Not really but then again it was tempting. All of sudden the mouse is all over the place. Is there any setting I can check besides mouse speed that I can check before hauling it back to the store?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:07
There is such a thing as mouse sensitivity, inversion of X/Y axes, and maybe a couple of others in the "Accessibility" topic, things used to make the computer friendlier for the handicapped.

As to that short delay, I see it on my system too and I have an SSD as my boot drive on a fast machine. However, sometimes, I see the little Windows "whirligig" of rotating dots telling me that an update had occurred. If you don't see that hesitation every time, it is possible that you got a component update other than Windows itself.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
There is such a thing as mouse sensitivity, inversion of X/Y axes, and maybe a couple of others in the "Accessibility" topic, things used to make the computer friendlier for the handicapped.

As to that short delay, I see it on my system too and I have an SSD as my boot drive on a fast machine. However, sometimes, I see the little Windows "whirligig" of rotating dots telling me that an update had occurred. If you don't see that hesitation every time, it is possible that you got a component update other than Windows itself.
Thanks

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Doc, not only my mouse went crazy but then my whole display went fuzzy and jumping around. I shut down and rebooted and now mouse and everything else is ok. any idea what happened?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Do you use a battery backup system or do you plug your equipment directly into the wall (or directly to a power strip that is plugged directly into the wall)? Are any of your connections to your mouse or display based on WiFi? Those symptoms sound like electrical interference. If you used a battery power backup system, even a relatively low-end one, it acts as a power filter that stops electrical spikes from entering your system.

Mouse issues are not that rare. Display getting fuzzy and jumping around? That's a lot harder to explain with simple settings.

One last thought - if you have a reputable anti-virus program, run AT LEAST a quick scan, or perhaps if you are going to leave the computer to go out on errands, leave it running with a full scan. See if it reports anything.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Do you use a battery backup system or do you plug your equipment directly into the wall (or directly to a power strip that is plugged directly into the wall)? Are any of your connections to your mouse or display based on WiFi? Those symptoms sound like electrical interference. If you used a battery power backup system, even a relatively low-end one, it acts as a power filter that stops electrical spikes from entering your system.

Mouse issues are not that rare. Display getting fuzzy and jumping around? That's a lot harder to explain with simple settings.

One last thought - if you have a reputable anti-virus program, run AT LEAST a quick scan, or perhaps if you are going to leave the computer to go out on errands, leave it running with a full scan. See if it reports anything.
Thanks for answering. I plug into double serge protectors. We have had some weird power problems with power in the neighborhood. I have "Web Root" that comes with my total protection package. I will run a scan.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I an concerned that this problem is not likely caused by the drive but by something else wrong. Drivers and viruses can cause all kind of word things like you describe. I would run for any and all security threats then make site to update all drivers and check for drivers that may be missing.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I an concerned that this problem is not likely caused by the drive but by something else wrong. Drivers and viruses can cause all kind of word things like you describe. I would run for any and all security threats then make site to update all drivers and check for drivers that may be missing.
Thanks

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:07
This is my first computer with a solid State hard drive. (HP Corei5, Win 10 home) Is is normal for it to hesitate for a 10th of a second, screen to go black and come back normal, or should I suspect something else. Happens mostly when typing something in Word.
My company just sent me a Surface laptop about 1-2 months ago.

EXACTLY what you describe happens to me 3-5 times a day at least. Brief hesitation (mine's more like a few seconds), then goes black for a second, then normal again. Weird as heck. Very glad to hear it's not just me!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
My company just sent me a Surface laptop about 1-2 months ago.

EXACTLY what you describe happens to me 3-5 times a day at least. Brief hesitation (mine's more like a few seconds), then goes black for a second, then normal again. Weird as heck. Very glad to hear it's not just me!
Have you had any programs (especially Access) not working or not working properly?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:07
Individual programs have been working alright for me recently.
With one exception, I had a situation where VBA 'died' in one of my access database that I do CONSTANT development in. double clicking on a module did nothing, the immediate window was dead. corrupted. had to replace. but i think that was just that one database..

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I switched from HDD to SSD in my laptops (old Dell and newer Lenovo). I use Access etc on each. I have never had the issue you're describing Dick. I'm using Crucial and ADATA drives. I also back up to a different ADATA.
My Dell Inspiron was purchased in 2008 with Vista Home. Updated to an SSD in ~2013. I have recently updated to Win 10 Home 1909. The Lenovo was purchased in 2014 with Win 8.0 and 1 TB HDD.Updated thru 8.1 and Win 10. Had a hard disk issue in 2018 and upgraded to Crucial 525 Gb SSD.

Last edited:

123seven

Local time
I switched from HDD to SSD in my laptops (old Dell and newer Lenovo). I use Access etc on each. I have never had the issue you're describing Dick. I'm using Crucial and ADATA drives. I also back up to a different ADATA.
My Dell Inspiron was purchased in 2008 with Vista Home. Updated to an SSD in ~2013. I have recently updated to Win 10 Home 1909. The Lenovo was purchased in 2014 with Win 8.0 and 1 TB HDD.Updated thru 8.1 and Win 10. Had a hard disk issue in 2018 and upgraded to Crucial 525 Gb SSD.

Sorry if this should have been posted as a question vs as a reply.

Regarding updating hardware / software in general, I'm wondering if updating hard drives in two 2017 Hp Probooks (that are networked for two-person MS Access 2010, installed on both) is the way to go or should we be thinking of new hardware.

The primary laptop (that hosts the BE on a public folder and a FE in mydocs) still runs Windows 7. The secondary FE-only laptop runs Windows 10. We rely really heavily on this DB for 3 months with 10 hours/day data entry x 2. Just a little concerned that we might be getting to the edge of the cliff on any of the aforementioned upgradables and trying to be proactive before beginning of March.

No real performance failures but with support dropping off here and there... would really appreciate advice from those who have already been down this road.

cheers,
Shannon

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hi Shannon,

My post was really in response to Dick who was concerned with his first SSD. My experience with SSD has been very positive. No worry if they get shaken and very fast compared to HDD. Not sure why you are running win7, but I'm sure you have some rationale. And not sure of the importance of March (perhaps tax or fiscal year end? My understanding is this is critical to part of your business.

Seems you are extremely dependent on this application - do you do regular backups? Do you have data backups somewhere else?
Do you have or have you had any issues with the HP laptops? Do you have HW/SW support of some sort?
What is your contingency plan/survivability plan if one of your laptops(or part there of) should go "belly-up"?

2017 laptops are not that old and you know whether they are adequate or not. You could upgrade to SSD. You could bring the WIN7 up to WIN 10. Neither will likely run WIN 11 without some "techie mods".

The process to upgrade a HDD to SSD is not that complicated and there are several youtube videos on the subject.

Perhaps you can tell us more about your environment so we can appreciate your concerns and risks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry if this should have been posted as a question vs as a reply.

Regarding updating hardware / software in general, I'm wondering if updating hard drives in two 2017 Hp Probooks (that are networked for two-person MS Access 2010, installed on both) is the way to go or should we be thinking of new hardware.

The primary laptop (that hosts the BE on a public folder and a FE in mydocs) still runs Windows 7. The secondary FE-only laptop runs Windows 10. We rely really heavily on this DB for 3 months with 10 hours/day data entry x 2. Just a little concerned that we might be getting to the edge of the cliff on any of the aforementioned upgradables and trying to be proactive before beginning of March.

No real performance failures but with support dropping off here and there... would really appreciate advice from those who have already been down this road.

cheers,
Shannon

If you are updating HDDs by replacing them with SSDs, that isn't a bad upgrade. However, if you are dealing with local Ethernet networks, the first question I would ask is speed of that network. If your network 100 Mbit or less, replacing the HDD with SSD might not show significant disk response improvement for networked data access. Networks really tend to slow down sharing. OK, maybe not by much - but enough that the speed differential between HDD and SSD would be hard to detect, particularly for short queries.

As to Win7 vs Win10, I've not had that much trouble - almost none - other than a couple of games that wouldn't run on Win10 because of library differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom