Sort a linked table? possible? (1 Viewer)

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:38
Hello All,

I have a linked table in access to a SQL db.

However, I run in the field limitation of 255 and the field I need is below the 255 more.

If I was able to sort the link table I could possible still get the field I need.....Crystal has this option to do this..(put the field in abcd order)

Any way to do this?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 00:38
First, a table with >255 fields is most likely improperly structured. Why so many fields?

Second, create a view in the database that houses the table and include only the fields you need. Then link to that view from access. That way you will be able to access the fields you need in Access.

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
That would be nice however, that is lock behind a red taped vault..in the fortress of IT...I don't have access to the main tables in SQL

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"I don't have access to the main tables in SQL" Why not?
If it's part of your job to make use of that data, then your management and IT have to provide a means. Now, policy-wise, it may be IT who offers some options, but if your job requires it, then you and your management and IT management should be able to resolve this.
Readonly access and views or a point in time database..... seem reasonable.

There is an old story that putting corporate data into a database is a bit like putting all your eggs into 1 basket. Make sure you protect your basket. IT has many technical reasons for not allowing anyone in any position to access that data. But management and policies are part of that protective layer to ensure that those with legitimate need have appropriate access to info. If the viability of your organization is dependent on that database and the decisions made based on that data, then you can understand why protecting the data and the viability of the company is critical.
Good luck.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I would not expect an ordinary developer to have access to the production SQL server at all, let alone permissions to create objects. Put in a request through channels asking for a view with just the columns you need. You can explain the problem if they ask but try not to because they'll just tell you to not use Access.

gmatriix

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys, I mentioned red tape...I should have said crimson tape....this is a big company..so to get your pencil sharpened can take a week..lol

In all seriousness sometime I have to weight how much time it will take to go thru that due to my deadlines....we have to submit a ticket and the priority follows....alot time they don't even know what I am talking about...so phone call, phone call, explain...then escalated to my boss because they are not sure what I am asking.....its just alot...critical things does require that...it is a pain...

I thought if anyone would know a work around it would be you guys....but no work around for this one...the problem is at the source....

its ok tho......I can't win em all :D

Thanks again

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There's always ways around the road blocks but start the paperwork now because you actually need them to do this for you and it will take time.

In the meantime, if you can extract the data using Excel or some other tool, select the set of data you need and store it in a local table. Make sure you use the column names of the real tables but don't worry about the table/view name. Create your own query that selects the data from the temporary table. Once the view is created, you can modify this query to select from the view rather than the temp table and nothing else would have to change. By the time they get your view up, you should be finished with the development work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom