sp3's (1 Viewer)

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 09:26
i still haven't installed office 2003 sp3 AND windows xp sp3.

are there enough updates and hotfixes out there now to stop worrying about installing these? should i bother?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:26
Service packs contain all the previously released updates, if you keep it updated by patching and you have all of those then no you don't need to.

It's more of a 'package' so if you have to install a new copy of Windows you can apply all the patches in one go.

There may however be ones in a service pack you have missed or not installed which of course bring it's own minefield.

More info

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
If you install Office 2003 SP3, install the hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674

As for Windows XP SP3, I don't know the good or the bad and have not done so myself yet as I like to wait to hear about any fall-out first.

midmented

DP Programmer
Local time
Yesterday, 21:26
Hotfix, does it fix it?

I installed Office 2003 sp3 and a lot of my combo boxes and list boxes stopped being populated. I found out that if you force uppercase in a table field property (Set the format property to >), it "breaks" combo boxes and list boxes (stops them from loading).
Did the hotfix fix the fix? LOL

I think it's crazy that a fix/update broke something that was working that a fix/update had to be deployed for!

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I think it's crazy that a fix/update broke something that was working that a fix/update had to be deployed for!
True, but that's why Office 2K3 SP3 is considered to be the worst SP yet for Office. They did have some very big things that broke due to security "fixes" that were implemented.

I think that they learned a big lesson with that one though, so it shouldn't happen like that again. Although, it is not an impossibility. :)

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 09:26
hi all. lost this thread in the shuffle. thanks for the replies and links. keep 'em coming if you hear anything more.

i like to wait before installing too but haven't heard much. i'm sure i have every update, patch, etc. up until these. think i'll continue to wait. (still using ie6 too!) does anyone else find it a bit disturbing to see that yellow shield day-in day-out? :eek:

that reminds me...another update i find disturbing that i haven't installed: for Outlook:

This update (KB953432) resolves an issue where Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 behaves unexpectedly in some circumstances.

what is that? is this one OK? i'll check the links above for info too. tnx.

edit: the outlook update is "related to how messages and attachments are rendered." requires Office 2003 SP2 and SP3.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 21:26
I have installed both and haven't had any problems so far with any code or otherwise.

sidharth

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to all of you for these useful posts hope it ll be helpful for everyone..

cright99

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:26
With windows xp sp3. I had a big problem when i installed it to two of my mates computers a while ago. They both had realtek onboard audio. Just a warning if you have it. Because its a pain to install the drivers for it. Hopefully they have fixed the drivers for it by now. Or hopefully you dont have realtek onboard audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom