split database is locked

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:45
Hello,

I've created a database, split it and distributed to 5 users. The backend is located on a share drive. I was working fine during the validation but yesterday a user alerted me that one of the forms appears to be locked for editing. This is a continuous form that is bound to a single table. It appears that another user had that form opened in the same time. As soon as that user closes the form, another user is able to edit it.

In the past there were no problems with multiple users accessing the same for, since, each has his front-end copy. Please suggest how to troubleshoot and fix this problem.

Thanks

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:45
Do each of the users have copies of the Front End on their machines?

Linq ;0)>

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, all users have copies of the front end.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Have you messed with the Record Locking Property...or is it set as 'No Locks,' the default setting?

[Linq B];0)>[/B]

MilaK

Registered User.
Local time
The form's recordlock is set to Edited Record, however, all records appear to be locked.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Must developers, in my experience, use the default of No Locks...also called optimistic locking. If two or more users try to edit the same Record, simultaneously...the second user trying to save the Record

"Microsoft Access displays a message to the user who tries to save the record second. This user can then discard the record, copy the record to the Clipboard, or replace the changes made by the other user."

This setting only affects the single Record…and usually works just fine, unless there is a high probably of two or more users trying to edit the same Record at the same time.

With 'Edited Record' An entire Page of Records is locked as soon as any user starts editing any field in the record and stays locked until the user moves to another record. I forget how many Records comprise a 'Page,' (it may vary depending on amount of data per Record) but is probably responsible for your problem.

I'd change it back to the default of No Locks...it's all I've used for decades and have never experienced a problem using it.

Linq ;0)>

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom