Solved Split Function Using Multiple Criteria (1 Viewer)

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:28
Good morning.

I have text in a table like this:

Make
ALFA ROMEO
FREIGHTLINER - TRUCKS - MEDIUM / HEAVY DUTY
HINO (MEDIUM DUTY)
MERCEDES-BENZ
NISSAN
Some data has the make and " - " and then extra info. Some has the extra info in parentheses. Some does not have any extra info that needs to be removed.

I need it like this:

Make
ALFA ROMEO
FREIGHTLINER
HINO
MERCEDES-BENZ
NISSAN
I googled this and tried using Array but received errors. I wrote this code here:

Code:
Public Function GetMakeName(strIn As Variant)

strIn = strIn & ""

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Dim text(1 To 2) As String

text(1) = " - "
    text(2) = " ("

Dim item As Variant

For Each item In text

GetMakeName = Split(strIn, item)(0)

Next item

Error_Exit:
    Exit Function

ErrorHandler:
    MsgBox Error$
    Resume Error_Exit

End Function

It runs without errors but gives me this as result:

Expr1
ALFA ROMEO
HINO
MERCEDES-BENZ
NISSAN
It is only doing the text2 from the code but not the text1.

Would someone please advise on what I need to change to get this to work?

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:28
What happens if the data has more than two "-" in it? What do you want to get back from it? For example:

FREIGHTLINER - TRUCKS - 5 TON - MEDIUM/HEAVY DUTY

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
What happens if the data has more than two "-" in it? What do you want to get back from it? For example:

Using your example I would just want "Freightliner"

I just went through the data sets that I have samples and it is the two " - ". I did not see anything with more than the two " - ". I do not have all the data sets though so I cannot rule it out. The only thing that is consistent at my company is no two things are ever done the same. If they were it was by accident.

I used " - " with the spaces because there is Mercedes-Benz. If I used just the "-" I would only get Mercedes.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 18:28
From your first post:

should resolve to FREIGHTLINER - TRUCKS

From your latest post:
should resolve to "FREIGTHLINER"

Is that accurate? The key to this is writing your rules in plain all encompassing english. "I want all characters before the second dash", I want all characters before the last dash", etc. With the 2 examples above you've greatly increased the complexity of your rules.

My suggestion to you is to try and right your rules out as clearly and concisely as you can in english. With that you can then start to code a function in VBA to implement them.

Also, don't use just the 2 examples above as the only place to base your rules. Make sure what you want to happen with HINO (MEDIUM DUTY) is covered as well.

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I did not delete it all in my OP. I fixed it and added in Mercedes-Benz.

I want all the characters left of:
- the first " - " which is space, a dash, and then another space. FREIGHTLINER - TRUCKS - MEDIUM / HEAVY DUTY resolves to FREIGHTLINER.
- the first " (" which is a space and a left parentheses. HINO (MEDIUM DUTY) resolves to HINO.

If the data does not contain either the " - " or " (" then no resolution is required. NISSAN would remain Nissan.

Mercedes-Benz would remain Mercedes-Benz.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:28
Sorry, I did not delete it all in my OP. I fixed it and added in Mercedes-Benz.

- the first " - " which is space, a dash, and then another space. FREIGHTLINER - TRUCKS - MEDIUM / HEAVY DUTY resolves to FREIGHTLINER.
- the first " (" which is a space and a left parentheses. HINO (MEDIUM DUTY) resolves to HINO.

If the data does not contain either the " - " or " (" then no resolution is required. NISSAN would remain Nissan.

To me, that translates to "I want all the characters on the left up to the first space character." Would that be an accurate interpretation? If so, you could use something like:
Code:
IIf(InStr([FieldName]," ")>0, Left([FieldName], InStr([FieldName]," ")-1), [FieldName])
Hope that helps...

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
To me, that translates to "I want all the characters on the left up to the first space character." Would that be an accurate interpretation? If so, you could use something like:
Code:
IIf(InStr([FieldName]," ")>0, Left([FieldName], InStr([FieldName]," ")-1), [FieldName])
Hope that helps...
No because I have makes like Alfa Romeo, John Deere, etc that would split them.

I specifically need it for " - " and " (". And just in case something else came up I could add in a Text(3) to my code.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 18:28

This is good and Split() is not the way to go. The way to do it is with IIF statements to test for the presence of your delimiters ( dash and parenthesis). You do that with the InStr function:

It finds the position of a substring (or character) in a string. Then inside that you can go about extracting just the part you want using the Mid() function:

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
The first data set I worked with had the FREIGHTLINER - TRUCKS - MEDIUM / HEAVY DUTY so I used:

Code:
IIf([Make] Like "* - *",Left([Make],InStr([Make]," - ")-1),[Make])

That worked fine. My boss asked me to see if it would work on another data set. That data set has the HINO (MEDIUM DUTY). I do not believe you can use multiple criteria in the InStr part of the statement so I figured writing a custom function using the Split command would work better than using multiple iif statements. Especially if a new variable comes up.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
For consideration:

OneLine: IIf(InStr([MAKE]," - ")>0,Left([MAKE],InStr([MAKE]," - ")),IIf(InStr([MAKE]," (")>0,Left([MAKE],InStr([MAKE]," (")),[make]))

Function

Code:
Function truckmake(MAKE As Variant) As String
    Dim a As Variant
    If IsMissing(MAKE) Then Exit Function

a = InStr(MAKE, " - ")
    If a > 0 Then
        truckmake = Left(MAKE, a)
        Exit Function
    End If
    a = InStr(MAKE, " (")
    If a > 0 Then
        truckmake = Left(MAKE, a)
        Exit Function
    Else
        truckmake = MAKE
    End If
End Function

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are welcome. Happy to help.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:28
you can also create a Table for the Master list of all Makers (tblMaker in the sample).
then based on this table you create a function that will check if the Make is in the record
of tblMaker.
Note Volvo is not in tblMaker so in the query (Query1), the Maker is "?".
if you see "?" in the query, you add Volvo to tblMaker and Refresh the query.

Attachments

• AutoMake.accdb
    412 KB · Views: 135

EzGoingKev

Registered User.
Local time
I thought about a master make table.

The db will be used by other people so I have no control over making sure a make master table is updated.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:28
you use what is best for you.
who knows, in the future, maybe somebody will find use to the master make table approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom