Splitting big table to smaller ones (1 Viewer)

UserError

Local time
Today, 08:13
Hello,
I have inherited a database with in excess of 78 fields and I gather I need break this down as it may be causing the "record is too large" error. There are sections which lend themselves to this: there are field prefixed "susc", "val" and "vis" but I can't see how to select these in a query.
I could add all the fields and choose only the ones I want but that seems a but primitive. There must be a more efficient way?
Many thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
The usual issue is with a table(s) imported from Excel, often having Fields which should be Rows. For example it is common to construct a spreadsheet with columns for the months, January through December. You may have columns which represent check marks/checkboxes offering the choice of yes/no answers. In MS Access these can placed as horizontal entries in a row instead of a column. I've done a comprehensive blog "Excel in Access" on the issue here:-

Excel in Access​

I also provide a tool for extracting the offending columns into the correct row structure.

There are videos and text, and I take you through an example based on students and the courses they are taking. I also link to other blogs throughout Access World Forums (AWF) which provide you with more information. I am also available to help you if you get stuck.

The tool is available for free, all you need do is contact me in a private message and I will explain how you can get a free copy.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In this 2008 video I made on the subject, you can get a idea of the issue and the solution:-

How to Move Data from Excel to Access​

UserError

Local time
Hi UncleGizmo, Thanks, this is a large landscape assessment database with many justifiable/valid fields (assessment of many characteristics of the landscape). It may once have originated in Excel and possibly outgrew it, but I know as a database it has been used like this on previous occasions. There are a number of H/M/L fields that (I put) in combo boxes/tables but in this version there are no Y/N (although the version I was sent has loads of these, so I would be interested in reconfiguring those so will PM you about your offer, thank you.
In the meantime, I copied the SQL into Notepad++ & edited the text with find/replace then pasted it back in as a workaround

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom