Splitting database (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 02:55
Hello, I want to know the sequence of splitting database and making Accde. Let's say on my PC, I already split the database from my C drive to \\Server. Then I make the Accde of my front end in my PC. Then I go to user1, with the copy of my front end of my Accde, I put it on the drive C of user1, and the same method I will do to the rest of the users. May question is it going to be working to link to the server for all other users with the same front end Accde?.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 05:55
If you split the backend onto the server, all the FE's will be mapped.
ALWAYS use UNC paths (\\server\folder\myDB.accdb ) and not drive letters.

then just copy the FE to the user's folder. I have a Distribute db that has all the users and their home path,
be it a network personal folder (easiest): \\server\users\bob\
or their personal pc folder: \\10.8.5.152\c$\My Apps\

then I select the source : the newest update
and click GO , then the code copies the source app to every target folder in the list.

this way everone has the most up-to-date copy.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
If you split the backend onto the server, all the FE's will be mapped.
ALWAYS use UNC paths (\\server\folder\myDB.accdb ) and not drive letters.

then just copy the FE to the user's folder. I have a Distribute db that has all the users and their home path,
be it a network personal folder (easiest): \\server\users\bob\
or their personal pc folder: \\10.8.5.152\c$\My Apps\

then I select the source : the newest update
and click GO , then the code copies the source app to every target folder in the list.

this way everone has the most up-to-date copy.
(easiest): \\server\users\bob\
Ranman, is n't in opposite?, starting from Bob\......

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:55
I use a batch file to distribute the FE. The batch file lives on the server. The user creates a shortcut (or you send him one). When he runs the shortcut, it copies the Fe to his local C: drive and then runs it.

Here is the batch file. A distribution database also works if you prefer. Just modify it to use your own object and folder names.

md c:\DwgLog
del c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb
copy "\\BSCCTIMBERLINE1\Timberline Office\AccessApps\Data\CommonFE\DrawingLog.accdb" c:\DwgLog
c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb

It makes a folder on the c drive
deletes any existing copy of the FE
Copies the master FE from the server to the local folder
Opens the FE

Neither of the first two statements throw an error if the folder already exists or if the FE isn't there to delete so there is no error checking.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
I use a batch file to distribute the FE. The batch file lives on the server. The user creates a shortcut (or you send him one). When he runs the shortcut, it copies the Fe to his local C: drive and then runs it.

Here is the batch file. A distribution database also works if you prefer. Just modify it to use your own object and folder names.

md c:\DwgLog
del c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb
copy "\\BSCCTIMBERLINE1\Timberline Office\AccessApps\Data\CommonFE\DrawingLog.accdb" c:\DwgLog
c:\DwgLog\DrawingLog.accdb

It makes a folder on the c drive
deletes any existing copy of the FE
Copies the master FE from the server to the local folder
Opens the FE

Neither of the first two statements throw an error if the folder already exists or if the FE isn't there to delete so there is no error checking.
Thank you Pat, I study this first, how to make it work in batch file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom