Solved Sql Statement in Vba (1 Viewer)

ZEEq

Local time
Today, 20:13
Hello Everyone
My question is I have 2 Queries
1. Select Qry (InsGrades)
SQL:
SELECT SessionYearT.Session_ID, SessionYearT.SessionYear, SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearType_ID, SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT, SessionTypeT.SessionType, SessionYearTypeT.StartDate, SessionYearTypeT.EndDate, GradesT.Grade_ID, GradesT.GradeName
FROM (SessionTypeT INNER JOIN GradesT ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = GradesT.SessionType_ID) INNER JOIN (SessionYearT INNER JOIN SessionYearTypeT ON SessionYearT.Session_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearT) ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT
WHERE (((SessionYearTypeT.IsCurrent)=1));

2. Append Qry (InsGrades1)
SQL:
PARAMETERS [Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID] Long;
INSERT INTO tblSessionGrades ( SessionYearType_ID, GradeID )
SELECT [Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID] AS QSessionYearType_ID, InsGrades.Grade_ID
FROM InsGrades
WHERE (((InsGrades.Session_ID)=1) AND ((InsGrades.SessionTypeT)=1));

ok what i want is to write these sql statements in Vba just for learning purpose How a select statement is declared and after that insert query
regards

ZEEq

Local time
So i need to create (First Select Qry) with querydef ?

ebs17

Local time
Today, 17:13
A name of a query indicates that the query is a stored object. In order to run the second query, you don't have to do anything else with that first query. Execution of a query starts with the evaluation of the FROM part. If there is a query instead of a table, this query is automatically executed and evaluated before the upper level continues.

Alternatively, you can use the SQL statement of one query directly in that of the second, without the trailing semicolon. There are reasons to do this and reasons not to.
SQL:
FROM (SELECT SessionYearT.Session_ID, ...) AS InsGrades
WHERE ...

Another alternative: If you put the line with INSERT INTO in front of the selection query, it automatically becomes an append query. Adjusting the field lists of append and select as well as entering the parameter: A query about everything is done.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13
Hello Everyone
SQL:
SELECT SessionYearT.Session_ID, SessionYearT.SessionYear, SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearType_ID, SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT, SessionTypeT.SessionType, SessionYearTypeT.StartDate, SessionYearTypeT.EndDate, GradesT.Grade_ID, GradesT.GradeName
FROM (SessionTypeT INNER JOIN GradesT ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = GradesT.SessionType_ID) INNER JOIN (SessionYearT INNER JOIN SessionYearTypeT ON SessionYearT.Session_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearT) ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT

SQL:
PARAMETERS [Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID] Long;
SELECT [Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID] AS QSessionYearType_ID, InsGrades.Grade_ID
FROM InsGrades

ok what i want is to write these sql statements in Vba just for learning purpose How a select statement is declared and after that insert query
regards

I think I need to ask your intent here. You want to write the statements in VBA. But what does that mean or what did you want it to mean?

If you mean you wanted to create an SQL string, that is one thing. All you need is a string variable to hold what you build and use the concatenation operator ( & ) to put the parts together in the right order, including any literal values, variables, and form control contents as need for your goal.

If you wanted to have VBA evaluate the SQL, that is entirely different because VBA doesn't do SQL. It issues commands to the Access API to execute SQL in a given context. I.e. the Access programming interface does not execute SQL - it passes it to the data engine, probably ACE unless you have a REALLY old copy of Access, in which case it uses JET.

Opening an SQL-based SELECT statement works in recordset context. If the SELECT statement is inherently updateable and you open the recordset in the appropriate mode, you can do INSERT or UPDATE or DELETE through the recordset interface or can simply copy selected fields exposed by the recordset as needed.

You would use either a DoCmd.RunSQL or a CurrentDB.Execute to run an action query such as INSERT INTO, UPDATE, or DELETE. The recordset method doesn't work for action queries because action queries don't return recordsets.

Either of those action query methods COULD (at least in theory) open a SELECT query but would do nothing with it except instantly close it with no visible effect. Don't know that I've ever actually tried to execute a SELECT query but then it doesn't matter. Even if it opens, it will do nothing at all to your data. At most, if you were running the Windows Task Manager when you tried, you would see a quick blip in disk usage and CPU usage. Maybe a very little blip in memory usage. If the database is split and the back-end is on another system, maybe a blip in network usage. But you would see nothing from the Access interface itself.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:13
Yes, I understand you want an INSERT action to append record(s). But why do you need to do this programmatically? Why not data entry with a form? Is this to 'batch' create a number of records at one time?

As Doc described, there is more than one method for programmatically adding records: DoCmd.RunSQL and CurrentDb.Execute

And then can open a recordset and loop through records - really least efficient when SQL is available.

ebs17

Local time
It might look like this: stored query qinsData
SQL:
PARAMETERS
   pID Long
;
INSERT INTO
   tblSessionGrades(
      SessionYearType_ID,
      GradeID
   )
SELECT
   pID AS QSessionYearType_ID,
   GradesT.Grade_ID
FROM
   (SessionTypeT
      INNER JOIN GradesT
      ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = GradesT.SessionType_ID
   )
   INNER JOIN
      (SessionYearT
         INNER JOIN SessionYearTypeT
         ON SessionYearT.Session_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearT
      )
   ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT
WHERE
   SessionYearTypeT.IsCurrent = 1
      AND
   SessionYearT.Session_ID = 1
      AND
   SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT = 1

Code:
' Call
Dim lRet As Long
lRet = ExecuteParamQuery(CurrentDb, "qinsData", _
               "pID", Forms.frmSessionYear.frmSessionTypesSubform.Form.txtSessionYearType_ID
MsgBox lRet & " records are affected"

The used function (store in a standard module):
Code:
Public Function ExecuteParamQuery(ByVal MyDB As DAO.Database, ByVal AnyQuery, _
                                  ParamArray QueryParams() As Variant) As Long
    Dim qd As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim i As Long

If UBound(QueryParams) Mod 2 = 1 Then             ' Paare Parameterfeld-Wert vorhanden
        If QueryExists(MyDB, AnyQuery) Then
            ' gespeicherte Abfrage
            Set qd = MyDB.QueryDefs(AnyQuery)
        Else
            ' SQL-Anweisung
            Set qd = MyDB.CreateQueryDef(vbNullString, AnyQuery)
        End If
        For i = 0 To UBound(QueryParams) Step 2
            qd.Parameters(QueryParams(i)) = QueryParams(i + 1)
        Next
        qd.Execute dbFailOnError
        ExecuteParamQuery = qd.RecordsAffected
        qd.Close
        Set qd = Nothing
    End If
End Function

Private Function QueryExists(ByVal MyDB As DAO.Database, ByVal QueryName As String) As Boolean
    Dim qd As DAO.QueryDef
    For Each qd In MyDB.QueryDefs
        If qd.Name = QueryName Then
            QueryExists = True
            Exit For
        End If
    Next
End Function
The function ExecuteParamQuery can also process a passed sql statement. But storing a constant sql statement in vba code makes less sense.

LarryE

Local time
Today, 08:13
Hello Everyone
SQL:

SQL:
FROM InsGrades

regards
Just declare it as a string and display it:
Code:
Dim SQLText As String
SQLText="SELECT SessionYearT.Session_ID, SessionYearT.SessionYear, SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearType_ID, SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT, SessionTypeT.SessionType, SessionYearTypeT.StartDate, SessionYearTypeT.EndDate, GradesT.Grade_ID, GradesT.GradeName
WHERE (((SessionYearTypeT.IsCurrent)=1));"
Msgbox SQLText

ZEEq

Local time
My apologies if my question was not clear before , I have two saved queries

1. Select qry
2. Append qry
what i want to learn is to perform Insert without Saved access query this is my code learning vba
Code:
10        On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
          Dim Db As DAO.Database
          Dim strsql As String
          Dim strWhere As String
          Dim RecsAffected As String

20        Set Db = CurrentDb

30        If IsNull(Me.txtSessionYearType_ID) Then
40            MsgBox "Enter Session details First.", vbOKOnly
50            Exit Sub
60        End If

70        Me.Refresh

80        Set qdf = Db.QueryDefs("InsGrades1")
90        qdf.Parameters("[Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID]").Value = [Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID]

100       Db.QueryDefs.Refresh

110       strsql = "INSERT INTO tblSessionGrades ( SessionYearType_ID, GradeID) " & _
              " SELECT [InsGrades].SessionYearType_ID, [InsGrades].Grade_ID " & _
              " FROM [InsGrades] " & _
              " WHERE [InsGrades].Session_ID= " & Me.txtSessionYearT & " And [InsGrades].SessionTypeT= " & Me.cboType & ";"

120       Debug.Print strsql
130       With Db
140           .Execute strsql, dbFailOnError
150       End With
160       RecsAffected = Db.RecordsAffected
170       MsgBox "Records affected were." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _
              "Grade(s) Entered: " & RecsAffected, vbInformation, "Action Result(s)"

180       Me.Refresh

ExitHandler:

190       On Error Resume Next
200       Db.Close: Set Db = Nothing
210       qdf.Close: Set qdf = Nothing
220       Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

230       Select Case Err
              Case Else
240               MsgBox "The following error has occurred." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Error Number: " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & "Error Source: cmdAddClasses_Click" & vbCrLf & "line : " & Erl & vbCrLf & "Error Description: " & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Inform Administrator!"
250               Call LogError(Err.Number, Err.Description, "cmdAddClasses_Click()")
260               DoCmd.Hourglass False
270               Resume ExitHandler
280       End Select

ZEEq

Local time
It might look like this: stored query qinsData
SQL:
PARAMETERS
   pID Long
;
INSERT INTO
   tblSessionGrades(
      SessionYearType_ID,
      GradeID
   )
SELECT
   pID AS QSessionYearType_ID,
   GradesT.Grade_ID
FROM
   (SessionTypeT
      INNER JOIN GradesT
      ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = GradesT.SessionType_ID
   )
   INNER JOIN
      (SessionYearT
         INNER JOIN SessionYearTypeT
         ON SessionYearT.Session_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionYearT
      )
   ON SessionTypeT.SessionType_ID = SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT
WHERE
   SessionYearTypeT.IsCurrent = 1
      AND
   SessionYearT.Session_ID = 1
      AND
   SessionYearTypeT.SessionTypeT = 1

Code:
' Call
Dim lRet As Long
lRet = ExecuteParamQuery(CurrentDb, "qinsData", _
               "pID", Forms.frmSessionYear.frmSessionTypesSubform.Form.txtSessionYearType_ID
MsgBox lRet & " records are affected"

The used function (store in a standard module):
Code:
Public Function ExecuteParamQuery(ByVal MyDB As DAO.Database, ByVal AnyQuery, _
                                  ParamArray QueryParams() As Variant) As Long
    Dim qd As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim i As Long

If UBound(QueryParams) Mod 2 = 1 Then             ' Paare Parameterfeld-Wert vorhanden
        If QueryExists(MyDB, AnyQuery) Then
            ' gespeicherte Abfrage
            Set qd = MyDB.QueryDefs(AnyQuery)
        Else
            ' SQL-Anweisung
            Set qd = MyDB.CreateQueryDef(vbNullString, AnyQuery)
        End If
        For i = 0 To UBound(QueryParams) Step 2
        Next
        qd.Execute dbFailOnError
        ExecuteParamQuery = qd.RecordsAffected
        qd.Close
        Set qd = Nothing
    End If
End Function

Private Function QueryExists(ByVal MyDB As DAO.Database, ByVal QueryName As String) As Boolean
    Dim qd As DAO.QueryDef
    For Each qd In MyDB.QueryDefs
        If qd.Name = QueryName Then
            QueryExists = True
            Exit For
        End If
    Next
End Function
The function ExecuteParamQuery can also process a passed sql statement. But storing a constant sql statement in vba code makes less sense.
@ebs17 sorry my vba skills are very limited and first part of your code has syntax errors

ebs17

Local time
I would attribute errors to your individual implementation of the whole thing.

My parameter as the interface of the query to the outside has a name (pID), and as part of the call, the associated value is assigned to the parameter named by name, in the example shown from a text field of a subform.

However, the same query can also receive values from completely different sources, i.e. it can be used more universally.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13
what i want to learn is to perform Insert without Saved access query this is my code learning vba

Perhaps I understand, since in your exhibit in post #10 you are referencing a stored query as the source for your INSERT in the subroutine. Is it that you would really prefer to directly recover the same data that the stored query would recover and just use that directly in the INSERT query?

If so, there is nothing stopping you from just copying the relevant parts of that query into the SELECT statement portion of the INSERT, directly feeding from the table that feeds InsGrades1.

We've seen the code. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the idea, so can you tell us in plain language what your problem is? What is stopping you?

If you are looking for other direction, please try to use language first. Code, believe it or not, is a TERRIBLE way to show us anything if the problem was that you weren't sure what you were doing anyway.

ebs17

Local time
Please write in the forum. I regard inquiries as personal messages as paid orders.
Hi, i m getting this error
Item not found in collection

this line module

lRet = ExecuteParamQuery(CurrentDb, "InsGrades1", _
"pID", Forms.frmSessionYear.frmSessionTypesSubform.Form.txtSessionYearType_ID)
Check
- "InsGrades1"
- Forms.frmSessionYear.frmSessionTypesSubform.Form.txtSessionYearType_ID

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:13
What do these lines have to do with the process?
Code:
80        Set qdf = Db.QueryDefs("InsGrades1")
90        qdf.Parameters("[Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID]").Value = [Forms]![frmSessionYear]![frmSessionTypesSubform]![txtSessionYearType_ID]

100       Db.QueryDefs.Refresh
You don't seem to be using the querydef anywhere.
Comment the lines out and the error should disappear.

ZEEq

Local time
Thank u all for your time and effort sort out with function provided by @ebs17

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom