SQl Varbinary(max)/MA Access OLE Object (1 Viewer)

Mick3911

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:52
I am nearing completion of a DB that records employees training that is linked to SQL tables (just a couple of more stages to go).

Currently an employee signs a training document stating that they have understood the training received and the trainer signs stating that they are satisfied that the employee has understood the training given.

I have created a Power Apps app where instead of the training document being signed, individuals sign the app on a tablet which is stored as a varbinary(max) in the same SQL tables as the DB.

My problem is that when I create a from based on the table, the signatures are not being displayed (everything else pulls through fine).

When I open the relevant SQL table in Access the signature fields contain an OLE Object.

I have searched high & low trying to figure this out but with no joy so I am hoping that you guys & gals can help me.

Unfortunately, I cannot save the signatures elsewhere and then link the OLE Object (image) to the relevant path (oh how I wish).

The table is named tblTrainingHistory and has the following fields;

TrainingID – Autonumber

EmployeeNo – Number

TrainingCode – Text

DateCompleted – Date

TrainerSig – varbinary(max)

EmployeeSig – varbinary(max)

Mick3911

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:52
Afternoon isladogs,

Thanks for your response.

It is not the Power Apps that I am having a problem with but the Access form not displaying the signatures.

But saying that we do have some Windows 10 tablets which I could use your utility as well (As these Windows tablets are no longer supported by Microsoft, we are in the process of replacing them with Android).

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:52
i also have My own version.

Attachments

• InkPictureControl.accdb
    608 KB · Views: 332

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
I am nearing completion of a DB that records employees training that is linked to SQL tables (just a couple of more stages to go).

Currently an employee signs a training document stating that they have understood the training received and the trainer signs stating that they are satisfied that the employee has understood the training given.

I have created a Power Apps app where instead of the training document being signed, individuals sign the app on a tablet which is stored as a varbinary(max) in the same SQL tables as the DB.

My problem is that when I create a from based on the table, the signatures are not being displayed (everything else pulls through fine).

When I open the relevant SQL table in Access the signature fields contain an OLE Object.

I have searched high & low trying to figure this out but with no joy so I am hoping that you guys & gals can help me.

Unfortunately, I cannot save the signatures elsewhere and then link the OLE Object (image) to the relevant path (oh how I wish).

The table is named tblTrainingHistory and has the following fields;

TrainingID – Autonumber

EmployeeNo – Number

TrainingCode – Text

DateCompleted – Date

TrainerSig – varbinary(max)

EmployeeSig – varbinary(max)
I'm not an expert by any means, so this is only a suggestion of where to look.

I've found, again, in my limited experience, that stored binaries in tables don't work as well for display in PowerApps as storing them externally, i.e. in a SQL Blob Storage Account. You say that's not an option, but with PowerApps, I'm pretty sure it's the most effective approach. Watch this YouTube video by Shane Young on the method I'm describing. I use it myself. It's fast and smooth.

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
I would try to add some code in the Current event of the form to download the signature(s) from the varbinary(Max) field(s) to local file system (using ADOvStream.SaveToFile or DAO File.GetChunk) as .jpg or .bmp then simply use a image control to display them.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom